Using galic in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by scaredy0, Aug 29, 2014.

1. scaredy0

scaredy0 New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    I have read that putting a clove of garlic into your hens drinking water can help to keep them free from worms and lice. Has anyone tried this? Helen

2. Penny-Hen

Penny-Hen New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    England, East Midlands.
    I often put a clove of garlic into my Hens water as it is supposed to be great for their immune system, particularly dealing with repository problems. Along side this, I rub a small amount along perches in my hen's coop as it helps to deter red mite. I'm not too sure that it helps deal with lice, as these feed on chicken's skin rather than their blood! [​IMG] To deal with lice I use diatomaceous earth and also olive oil around the vent as I've found this not only suffocated the lice but clears up dry skin which the lice feed on. [​IMG] Garlic may help to rid of worms but make sure to use a proper wormer along side it! [​IMG]

3. scaredy0

scaredy0 New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Thanks for that. Fortunately I havn't had a problem with red mite yet but I think I'll use garlic on the roost as a precaution. Nor have I had issues with worms or lice but forewarned is forearmed[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by