using golf balls for nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eddie w, Aug 4, 2011.

1. eddie w

eddie w Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    i have some brown layers others lay greenish colored eggs will this matter with the white balls?

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    nope, its just the shape that they feel or see, [​IMG]

3. eddie w

eddie w Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    thanx just checking

4. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I think thats fine. I'm new to chickens. I just put plastic eggs in my nesting boxes yesterday.

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Recently had my first hen start laying....I watched her in the nest as she took her beak and actually moved one of the white golf balls further underneath herself. Rather odd, but......whatever floats her boat!!

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I bought a dozen of those artificial eggs some of the hatcheries sell. Made the mistake of buying brown eggs. I have brown egg layers. We finally had to mark them so we wouldn't gather them up with the real eggs. They look and feel too much like the real thing. You can't make scrambled eggs out of them, though. I tried. More than once. Should have gotten white eggs. Or golf balls.

7. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Golf balls work great! I have a hen who lays dark red eggs and even she fell for it! [​IMG]

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my RIRs laid her first egg about a week ago and she evicted the golf ball from the nest before laying. Go figure...

9. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

Golf balls work great! I have a hen who lays dark red eggs and even she fell for it! [​IMG]

I have never heard of a red egg, what breed lays a red egg?​

10. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Quote:Our one laying hen did the same thing! It was so cute to see her tuck the plastic easter egg under her with her beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by