Using green treated lumber

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PoppiesChicks, May 6, 2011.

1. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    We are building our run and I'm wondering if we can use treated lumber or if the chickens will get sick from it.

2. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I have seen a few runs that were made with it where they touch the ground. Also if posts are going into the ground yes use it. As for the coop portion I am not sure. I am planning on using reg doug fir that has been stained for the coop area and the run is cedar where it contacts the ground.

I know when making planter boxes for vegitable gardens they say DO NOT use PT so it might not be good for the chickens either.

3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    None of todays treated lumber contains arsenic so its good to use for virtually anything.

4. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I thought cedar was toxic to chickens, at least cedar mulch. Does that matter when using cedar for the run?

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You can use treated wood. If you don't it will rot.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Don't use cedar shavings use pine shavings. All my coops are made with cedar.[​IMG]

7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Your chickens aren't goats or horses, they're not going to ingest the PT lumber. IMO...They're much more likely to pick up toxicity from the things you feed them and environmental elements. PT lumber has never seemed to affect mine.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:It is not going to make them sick, but it is not a good idea (for a whole variety of reasons) to use it for anything EXCEPT ground-contact (or a few other special circumstances where you expect chronically damp conditions).

So you would use it for run fenceposts, and if you have horizontal grade boards along the base of the run fence touching the ground, and things like that; but you would NOT want to use it for your walls, raised floor, roof, etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I don't use anything but treated lumber for building anything chicken related. I've yet to see a chicken gnaw on wood.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    P/t lumber (the current ACQ stuff particularly!) is excessively heavy, splits and twists much worse over time than plain lumber, and eats metal for breakfast. The latter means that it will prematurely rust any fencewire that touches it (yes, even galvanized fencewire), and requires a better (and thus more expensive and often harder to find in less-common types of hardware) grade of galvanization on fasteners (or appropriately-coated deck screws, which is fine for deck screws but not available for anything else, or good stainless steel which is pretty 'ka-ching'!)

Thus it is kind of counterproductive to use when there is no NEED for it (i.e. in places that will not be chronically damp). Just plain outdoor wood lasts FINE if painted properly, there is zero point in using p/t simply b/c wood will be exposed to rain.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by