Using Hardware cloth to replace screen Help

HenoftheWoods

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Ortonville, MI
I hope that some one can help. I got a couple of used double hung windows (they are better than the ones in our house LOL) I want to use them for the coop we are building. They have the oriiginal screens. I want to reinforce the windows with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. How should I do this? I have read that leaving the original screeninig will cause dust build up but not leaaving the small screen invites wasps. How can I use the frams for hardware cloth? Love this site.. Thanks

I think that maybe you could zip tie hardware cloth to the screen frame. You should be able to find white or clear one that will blend with the frame. If you did keep the original screen, you should be able to wash the dust out by just using the hose on it.

Cut it twice as big as the frame going north to south. Cut the hardware cloth 1/2 -3/4" bigger so the edges wrap around the frame. Wrap the length (north to south) around the screen frame. Carefully smooth the edges and use duct tape around the frame to secure the hardware cloth and keep the rough edges contained.

Hardware cloth needs to be fastened securely to wood or something equally solid or it's not going to do the job it's intended to do. If you fasten the hardware cloth to just the screen, a critter could pop the screen out of its frame unless the screen is secured in some way I've never seen. They don't usually design window screens to withstand raccoon attack! And duct tape isn't going to do the job, either.

What I would do is fasten the hardware cloth using screws and washers (washers bigger than the openings in the wire) to the outside of the coop to the wood frame/sill surrounding the window. That way you'll still be able to operate the window normally from inside the coop.

I screened the windows and vents on my coop and I'm very glad I did. No mosquitoes!

Or, You can install the window, secure a pc. of hardwire over it, and then do a simple frame over the edges of the wire to "trim" it up. Then the window will work like normal..

Newbie in Screamer Al, :

Or, You can install the window, secure a pc. of hardwire over it, and then do a simple frame over the edges of the wire to "trim" it up. Then the window will work like normal..

I've done this on a coop b4, works great! This is going to sound funny but I put the windows in wrong side out so I could put the hardware cloth on the inside of the coop and then open the windows from the outside. With my interior design it was just easier to be able to open them from the outside. Something to think about...​

Quote:
I've done this on a coop b4, works great! This is going to sound funny but I put the windows in wrong side out so I could put the hardware cloth on the inside of the coop and then open the windows from the outside. With my interior design it was just easier to be able to open them from the outside. Something to think about...

I'm using shed windows and they are designed to open from the outside which is very nice! This way I can run out and close them quickly if a thunderstorm is coming without risking letting any chickens out into the yard that I then have to herd back in.

Posts 4,6,and 7 have it right. You could also "frame" the hdwe. cloth and then mount it inside w/screws. removable to clean. Don't trap your screens, but do consider if you reverse the windows the possibility of rain leaking in the lap and at the sill.
idunno.gif

Thanks everyone. You have all given me great ideas. They are double hung and I think I am going to mount them "inside out" (or I should say my DH and Dad will LOL) Love this group!

P.S. The pup in the picture is now 3 years old. She is a pound puppy. Told she was acollie mix, but we are pretty convinced she is part beaver (has eaten a lot of the deck, part cat (loves to climb and scratch!) part ....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom