Using humidifier to stop drying out

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
All of my chicks have hatched under my broody except the last one (and the one I most want to hatch!) with problems here and there but nothing out of the ordinary. This last egg has been peeping for over a day so I made a little hole just off from the beak to prevent it running out of air overnight. I am worried about the membrane drying out (egg and mum are in a crate in my bathtub at the moment lol) so was thinking about putting a humidifier on - is this a good idea? I was hoping to make a small crack, but it turned out as a small hole. Seeing as this chick is having problems hatching I am not thinking it will survive, but I want to give it every chance. What are your thoughts?

It made it! I went and checked this morning and it hatched and looks ok from a distance. I will check later on once it is fluffy and moving around to make sure.

All of my chicks have hatched under my broody except the last one (and the one I most want to hatch!) with problems here and there but nothing out of the ordinary. This last egg has been peeping for over a day so I made a little hole just off from the beak to prevent it running out of air overnight. I am worried about the membrane drying out (egg and mum are in a crate in my bathtub at the moment lol) so was thinking about putting a humidifier on - is this a good idea? I was hoping to make a small crack, but it turned out as a small hole. Seeing as this chick is having problems hatching I am not thinking it will survive, but I want to give it every chance. What are your thoughts?
All the chicks here are hatched by broody hens and have been for the last eight years.
It took me a couple of attempts to save partially hatched, or sickly chicks that mum deserted at the nest site, to realise that any interference on my part while seeming the right thing to do was in fact in the long term, misguided.
Hens know what they are doing. They've been doing this hatching business for a very long time. There are reasons hens abandon partially hatched and sick chicks that don't become apparent until a later date.
Briefly, the optimum hatch for a hen is when all the chicks hatch in as short a time frame as possible. Hens, by communicating with the embryos can adjust the hatch timing. This means all the chicks are at a similar level of development when she leaves the nest. This helps to minimize the advantage a chicks say 36 hours older than the rest would have in a staggered hatch for example.
My view now is if you are going to let a broody hen sit and hatch then from that point on you trust her judgment and not interfere.
I have a hen that has just hatched 3 out of 4. The 4th egg did pip, but for whatever reason the chick didn't make it out of the shell. Maybe I could have done an assisted hatch but the mother will leave this partially hatched chick without a second thought.
P9101796.JPG

One thing I would love to know if anyone has experience with it - how will I know if the membrane has dried out in the egg? Now there is a small hole I was going to leave it for another day to see if the little one can do it on her own, but obviously if she is glued in there she won’t be able to

Why have you taken her babies away from her? Are you afraid she will abandon this one egg for them?
My eggs all hatched at odd times! I was planning on day 20&21 for them to hatch but it started way too early. I took them otherwise over half would of been abandoned, she’s getting them back though - she’s a great mom and that’s too many chicks for me to fuss over.

Well definitely leave the hatched chicks under her and she provides the proper humidity and temperature to hatch the pipped egg. I'm a bit confused as to your thoughts? If chick has been trying to get out for over 12 hours possibly you need to assist a bit to get it hatched?

Back
Top Bottom