1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using interior door on exterior of coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MikeTodd, Jun 7, 2016.

1. MikeTodd

MikeTodd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Rensselaer, IN
    We are building a pole barn style coop and I have access to a free door to allow human entrance into the coop. However, it is an interior door. If I seal the door with a polyurethane to prevent moisture from getting into the door, do you think it will be ok to use?

2. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Any interior door no matter what you do will fail in an exterior application.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I will definitely last longer with the coating. With a bit of preventative maintenance there is no telling how long it may last. The price sounds right.

4. MikeTodd

MikeTodd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Rensselaer, IN
    I think for the price, we are going to give it a try.

5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    check Craigslist free stuff section

i saw people giving away doors a few times

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The other thing about interior doors is they are often hollow so not good predator proofing.

There are also the used building material places like Habitat For Humanity that sell doors for cheap. We have a few building supply salvage places around here and I use them often.
    I recently got 7 sheets of siding for 15 dollars each. I used them to make a coop for some hens that needed a new home. So far the new hens are not complaining about the cheap materials.

[​IMG]

I used the siding that we cut out to make a door with for human use. I did the same on the main coop behind this one.
    Easy enough with basic carpentry skills.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The second pic here shows the trim on the main coops door.

I have not had time to repair the path or add trim so please forgive the mess. The door facing (siding) is screwed to a frame made from 2x3 lumber to keep it light and has a spring for automatic closing. I will be adding trim all around the face of the door for cosmetic appeal. If you have materials this may work for you as well. If you want pics of the framing inside the door pop me a pm and I will take a few pics for you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by