Using Ivermectin and Tylosin at the same time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by offdagridsoon, Jul 13, 2011.

1. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    So while one of our 'roos is showing signs of respiratory infection (I'd heard him sneezing a few days previous and is having balance/walking issues, though no signs of pain or injury), several of our ducks and one of our 'roos are showing signs of gape worm ('yawning', stretching their necks out). They tend to roam the property and love to eat worms, which I've seen them doing on multiple occasions.

We picked up the Tylan injectable for our guy with the poor balance, and got Ivermectin injectable for all of them. My question is this: does anyone know if it is NOT recommended to give Tylan and Ivermectin concurrently? I've tried searching around both on this site and on google, but haven't been able to find any sort of answer.

Yes, I could always call the vet but, frankly, we are strapped for cash at the moment and a vet around here won't answer any questions of any sort without an animal in front of them and money in their pocket. [​IMG] I know the folks on here have tons of experience with all things poultry/avian, and so I am quite comfortable getting my information here. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would use only one at a time. It could be too much stress on their system and you dont know how both would affect their system, especially their organs.
    Most likely you are dealing with a chronic respiratory disease (CRD) in your rooster(s.) The tylan will treat the symptoms, but wont cure the disease.

3. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks much for the reply, Dawg. [​IMG] We'll dose the rest of the birds with Ivermectin and follow with dosing the 'roo after he's done his 5 days of Tylan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by