Using liquid copper for prevention of canker spread, Please HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenNamaste, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    We recently discovered our frizzle cochin has canker. We have her inside, and started on Flagyl.
    However, We are unsure if our flock has been contaminated, and I had read on here somewhere, that you could use copper in their water to prevent then from catching it. Now after purchasing the copper, I am very conflicted, as now everything I am reading, people say not to use it, So I need a few answers. Should I give it to them? And can I use:
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think it's supposed to be acidified copper sulfate.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    Thank you for your reply.. I had read on this package that it would cure canker, and I could've sworn I had seen someone recommend this exact one. I haven't been able to find acidified..

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2
    Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month, every month. Dont use a metal waterer and dont mix anything else with it. Your frizzle cochin will be a carrier. Canker is passed mainly in waterers/feeders. Jeffers is out of Dothan, Alabama and they ship quick.
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-1

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by