Using Metoclopramide (Reglan) to treat impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jenski, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    There are an awful lot of folk remedies for impacted crops, some of which have a questionable success rate. Olive oil-bread / gentle massage seems to be a pretty popular first-line treatment, although I do not see a consistent record of success (some of which may depend on how quickly the problem is caught, and what caused the impaction).

Some treatments, like the baking soda or epsom salt wash, even have many incidences of death associated with them. Some, like surgery, are simply a last resort in my book. (However, the 1990s-era Gail Damerow handbook even recommends crop surgery as the primary treatment for impaction!)

There has to be a better way to handle impacted crop.

There is relatively little information floating around on using Metoclopramide injections to treat impacted crop. Here is the basic information on this drug, which appears to stimulate peristalsis in the lower digestive system ~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metoclopramide

I noticed BYC Moderator allen wranch kindly posted a treatment description using this on this thread ~

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=664241#p664241

Is there anyone else out there who has successfully used this drug to treat impacted crop? Any noticeable or concerning side effects?

And most importanty ~ is there any reason why we shouldn't get this drug from our vets and keep it in our poultry first aid kits?

Thanks for any input.

Jen in TN
    ~:<>

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Well, it works for gastroparesis in humans! If it doesn't harm chickens, then I'm sure it would stimulate peristalsis in the crop and help them empty it.

You can get it is pills also. For a chicken that has chronic crop problems, you could probably give it to them daily to keep it moving.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    There is a lot more talk today about impacted crop surgery ~ both from the newbies preparing to take this on, and from the brave souls who have given this treatment a shot.

Is there anyone online tonight who has used the metoclopramide (Reglan) before resorting to surgery? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I guess I don't see where that would help a chicken with a crop stuffed full of long, coarse straw? For those chickens, it's more like a mechanical blockage. That's very different than the issues people have with gastric motility.

If a chicken hasn't eaten much of the offending item, other foods that would normally pass might get backed up. I can see where some of the impacted crop treatments might help with that secondary problem.

For the rare chicken that has trouble emptying their crop when they are only eating a normal diet, this might help a lot. I think it would just depend on the cause of the problem.

5. biddy and butch 1941

biddy and butch 1941 New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    I have had cochin bantams for many years and I have Ms. Darrows book. Many of my chickens are over ten years old. I have over the years lost some to an impacked crop. Often I don't know why something dies. It is only one at a time and not often. I do from time to time treat for coccidia just in case. Many years ago when I first started I had a hen with a impacked crop. I took it to the zoo's old vet and he said to forget it.
    I do try by trial and error. I can often keep a chicken alive for several weeks. I even tube feed, treats and wet mash. Heat if necessary.
    Now a young hen wasn't acting right. She was also light in weight. I ivermectin, then electrolyted her orally and then coccidia treatment. Her crop was not very distended but I could feel grain in it and it felt like pizza dough. She had a head tilt and was mouth breathing. No bad stool or mucous. All I had was reglan. So I felt I had nothing to lose as she got in a fetal position. I gave her 1cc of reglan two times a day. I also started syringe feeding. I did this also two times a day for several days. Then I also started tube feeding 45cc of baby peas and blendered cream corn. I did this four times a day for several days. She is now gaining weight and moving like a chicken. She is now eating some on her own so I only tube feed her two times a day now. This has taken nearly three weeks but it is looking good. I think the reglan did the trick plus the tube feeding. I use a small size aquarium tubbing tube and a 60cc syringe.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by