Using Muscovies to hatch Call eggs???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Callducknut14, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Callducknut14

Callducknut14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Seymour,Missouri
    I have been thinking about using Muscovies to set on my Call duck eggs. Would I be able to hatch more baby Calls with a moscovey than with a incubator? I actually don't have an incubator,I've been using a friends one. Also,if Muscovies are allowed free range with a small pond,would they still want to set? Any advice would be great!

2. Callducknut14

Jan 19, 2011
    Seymour,Missouri
    Anyone?[​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I asked this question a few months ago and got mixed answers. Muscovy mommy-wanna-bes will set any eggs if you give them to them, but from what people said, there's the chance of some eggs getting crushed by a heavy, clumbsy mommy. Some have tried this with success, others have not.

How many eggs you can set depends on the size of your 'bator vs. the hen herself. Mommy duck can handle a decent amount of call eggs. Not sure about hatch-rate.

If a duck is truly broody, she should set normally even with a pond and places to roam.

4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:IMO, Yes a muscovy can hatch better than an incubator.

We use Muscovies as broodies. We mainly use them to hatch goose eggs, but have used them for other eggs, like some of our wild breeds of ducks (which would be similar to call eggs).

We use the muscovies because they will have a much better hatch rate than what I can do in an incubator. I have never had a good hatch rate for geese in an incubator.

One problem to watch out for: If the muscovy hen is kinda wild (leaves the nest when you try to reach under her), she may break/crack an egg as she tries to flee the nest. Best way I deal with this is I have nest boxes that do not have a floor so I can tip the box up and the hen then walks away.

I usually try to pull the eggs and put them in the hatcher once the baby has moved into the airsac or has pipped the shell.

Free range muscovies will want to set, only problem is they may not pick a spot to nest that you like. She may pick a spot hidden outside somewhere that a predator might find.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Muscovies make excellent brooders! They're not so clumsy on the eggs unless you mess with them, in my experience. They will destroy their eggs accidentally if you mess with them too much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Callducknut14

Jan 19, 2011
    Seymour,Missouri
    Thanks for your replys! About how many Call duck eggs could a Muscovey set on? Since Call ducklings are so tiny,would the hen be able to brood them safely without stepping on them? Also my dad is worried about Muscovies being too messy,what do you think about that? If I did get some,they would be in our pasture with access to a small pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by