Using old car luggage carrier for brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coberdor, Dec 1, 2008.

1. coberdor

coberdor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    Has anyone used an old luggage carrier for a car as a brooder? I was thinking of using it, cutting a hole in the top part to insert the heat lamp. On the bottom, cover it with plywood and shavings. Then I want to rais the top part by cutting 4 2x2 sticks and screwing them to the four corners of the bottom piece to keep the lid up. Then attach netting or wire around the sides.

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I used a x-cargo rooftop carrier, cut the top, big enough that it was covered with a kiddie gate. worked great.

3. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    When I was growing up in the early 60's we had a rusted out hulk of a 1940's something with no seats or upolstry. We kept about a dozen bantams in there with access through the trunk which had no lock. During the winter the metal got really cold and the water froze. We had to use hot water to unfreeze the doors when there was freezing rain, or just rain in some cases since the metal was still freezing.

It worked well in some aspects. It provided light, ventalation, protection from preditors and roosting spaces ( back window ). For me then, they were a hassle to take care of prior to going to school, and prior to nightfall.

I guess I don't need to say I grew up in a backwoods fashion! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by