Using old wood to build a coop????... PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Guitartists, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    The neighbor bought my FIL's land from him years ago and one of the building on the property is falling apart. He is talking about dozing it into a big hole... but, being that it is right next to our lot... I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to salvage the wood for building a coop. It IS weathered and quite old... but, it doesn't seem to be too far gone. But then again... I don't know that much about such things.... [​IMG]

I've included some pics. There's so much there... I hate the idea of wasting it when I NEED lumber.

So what do you think??? Would you use it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    We bought property with an old church on it and my husband and son used the wood when they tore it down to build our chicken house. It looks a lot like that (not that I know much about it) and so far has worked out quite well. They are now building the dogs a massive house with what is left over!

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

SALVAGE EVERYTHING!!!! As long as it isn't rotten through and through, you can always sand/plan down the bad spots. And from the pics, I can see MANY coops coming out of that!

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I see a LOT of very good wood there. You can cut off rotted ends, etc. Not sure if all the support wood is any good-- but even so-- if you've got ends that are rotted, you can cut them down to useable lengths. I'm not sure how big a coop you plan on, but the building seems quite big, with big pieces of awesome wood..

If it were me and dh, we'd grab it all in a heartbeat-- have plenty for a coop and burn the rest [​IMG] I'd go for it!

5. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Build a coop then some furniture and picture frames! [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] And so speedy too [​IMG] I wanted to make sure before expending all of that time and energy... DH would NOT be happy if we took it all down and then someone said ... nope, not usable... LOL

And it will save me from having to figure out a way to haul a bunch of lumber to the property. I plan to use it to build smaller banty and trio coops.

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:That's not a bad idea [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Now a NEW question.... should I arrange to knock it down myself? Can I pull all the side boards off and then push it down and burn the rotten roof???

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Grab that old barrel, it has lots of possibilities. [​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL yeah, I've been eyeballing it [​IMG] I wish the bands had not fallen off..... out of curiosity.. what would you do with it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by