Using pallets for walls of the run

RHChicks

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2017
Southern MN
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to find something on using pallets stacked maybe 2 high for the walls and roof of a run. We have a 8x12 old shed that we are converting and i want to be able to have a run where i can go in and chill with the chicks.

We built this 3 sided shelter out of pallets stacked 3 high, using 2x4 supports and plywood skin. No reason you can't make a full shed out of it! We actually watched a utube video on how to build a shed from nothing but pallets, maybe you can look that up for inspiration.

Attachments

• 20160615_163448.jpg
    20160615_163448.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 20
Awesome shelter!! That is what I was thinking it would look like. I do have the shed so it's just the run I would use the pallets for. I have seen where they use t-posts then place the pallets over them. Wasn't sure if that would be enough support or not. I am in MN so we need something that will hold up to all the seasons but not cost much. I can get the pallets for free so thought I would use them.

Awesome shelter!! That is what I was thinking it would look like. I do have the shed so it's just the run I would use the pallets for. I have seen where they use t-posts then place the pallets over them. Wasn't sure if that would be enough support or not. I am in MN so we need something that will hold up to all the seasons but not cost much. I can get the pallets for free so thought I would use them.
I would still use 2x4 supports to bind them together for the second story, snow buildup can definitely snap unsupported lumber, it's my opinion that tposts would unly utilize the thin parts of the lumber and won't safely hold up under stress, I would suggest that the frame be made of 2x4 then clad with the free pallets. We usually only get a fine dusting of snow, but this year got crushing 3 ft of snow that collapsed my run structures, I had to brace it with 4x4s, because I had a flat roof. Try the cull section at the lumber store for cheap 2x4s, I got a bunch that way.

We built this 3 sided shelter out of pallets stacked 3 high, using 2x4 supports and plywood skin. No reason you can't make a full shed out of it! We actually watched a utube video on how to build a shed from nothing but pallets, maybe you can look that up for inspiration.

have to agree what a super idea, We just put one up from old wood shipping crates with two rooms to it

Back
Top Bottom