1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using peepers (blinders) the reason?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WildfireJane, Jan 17, 2009.

1. WildfireJane

WildfireJane Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I'm wondering if using peepers on my two roosters, they can coexist together in the same coop without killing eachother? What are the reasons for using blinders? Will blinders help keep feather picking at bay? Jane

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I thought those were usually used on game fowl to keep the males from fighting..

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG] I want to see some ? How would they get to food and water if they can't see.

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  5. WildfireJane

WildfireJane Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Then if I use peepers on my two roosters, they can live together in the same coop? Is this cruel? How long can peepers stay on? Sorry for all the questions, I think this may be my answer to keeping my whole flock together in one coop. Jane

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I heard that they also use them for egg eaters, the valueable rare breeds like Marans, etc.

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    The only bad thing is you have to punture the sinus cavity to put them on.

It seems to not bother them so much after a few days. They are used for pheasants so they do not fight.... so I would say yes, try it.

8. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Yikes. How do you puncture it? I was thinking of getting these for a couple of EEs who have become feather pluckers ...

9. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I don't believe you "puncture" anything. When I look at my birds I can see right through from one side to the other.
    db

10. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I saw a pic of the peepers in another thread....this is what it made me think of!

[​IMG]

(Sorry if this pic is a repeat for you, I posted it in the other thread too!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by