Using pellets as bedding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Feb 5, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I found another feed store in town that carries Equine pine pellets.. though i was quite surprised how small a 40lb bag was... (I use shavings currently, so it doesn't seem like enough). How many do you think i'd need to cover a 4x9 pen that has a vinyl floor bottom? How often do you need to change it out? Do pellets last longer than shavings? I'm trying to decide if pellets are better for me than shavings. Do you put one layer of pellets down until it needs to be changed or do you add more on top like shavings? (I will have 4 grown ducks in that pen)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    One thing I have noticed with my babies is that the top layer is the stinky part. I don't think it would matter how deep you have it, you would probably have to scrape the top layer off every few days. I just put enough to cover the bottom of the brooder, then change it when it gets stinky. With 7 babies in the brooder, that's about every 2-3 days. The pekins that are still inside (2) need theirs changed about once a week.

3. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    the shaivings work good for the babies now, i just add a new layer on top every day or so as it smells. It works pretty good. But i'm wondering how deep pellets need to be and how often pellets have to be changed?

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    any one use pellets as well?

5. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    I had seen another topic about this on these forums. Maybe if you do a search for "pellets" or something, you might be able to find it. I wish I had subscribed to it when I read it to make it easier to locate. [​IMG]
    Sharon

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I saw the other thread- and it is what encouraged me to purchase two forty pound bags of pellets instead of the pine shavings.

I don't like them. [​IMG]

The chicken poop sits rather obviously on top the pellets- making the coop seem even dirtier than it actually is- the bags dont cover much area. My coop is 3X6- I used both 40# bags, so I am not saving any money.

I think I have to clean the coop out more than once a week now- because it looks terrible.

However, I did hear many good things on the other thread, so I am sure this is just my opinion and experience.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you are using it for chickens, you probably would need to wet it down, to get it to seperate. Then the chickens would be able to scratch around in it more and mix the poop up in there. It works great for ducks. I tried it in my chick brooder, and I don't like how it works either, there. I do like the fact that they can't scratch it around too much, and kick it in their water and such.

I haven't used this with adult ducks, so I don't know what to say about how much you would need to use. Also, with just adding more to it, I find that it still stinks. It gets a very strong ammonia smell, and needs to be changed. You'll probably need to just 'wing it' for a while, and see what works best for you. Unless someone else, who uses it for adult ducks, comes along. My adults live on the pond, so they don't need any bedding [​IMG]

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I tried a 50/50 (pellets/shavings) mix with my buttons to see how it would do. So far so good! Maybe that would be a good combo for the chicks/chickens?

9. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i was contemplating using shavings on the bottom and the pellets on top. Mine pen is 4x9 so it needs a lot of pellets. I was going to mix them for practical money purposes. lol.

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I've used the ABM pellets for my guinea pigs for years.. they are great for that...
    I actually use it in my nest boxes for the chickens... mixed with shavings . Sure
    helps keep my eggs clean. I dont think I'd use it on the floor though, with urine
    it soaks it up...and the pellets either break down or get fatter. With Chicken poo
    it would soak some up but I think it would mostly sit on it. I think pellets are
    more ideal with a clear liquid urine. JMO I've though about using it for
    my buttons but havent done that yet.

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by