Using Pine shavings for Chicks?

Petej

Songster
12 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Long Beach, WA.
I'm getting ready to set-up the brooder and am wondering if I can use the pine litter I have for the big cage, in the brooder for the chicks?

Or should I go with Newspaper?

I've keep seeing people that have used either/or so which would be better?

I use a old dish towel or the shelf liner stuff (like in the photo below) for the first few days then they can go on whatever.
smile.png

I would not use newspaper as it is slick and you will get spraddle leg chicks if you put then on a slick surface.
Pull the chicks as soon as dry and show them where the water is. (water dish should have marbles/stones in it so they can walk on top of it and not get to wet or drown.. they tend to always try and swim.

I like the rag or shelf stuff since I just change it out and toss in a bucket. Soak rags/shelf liner in the bucket (kinda like rinsing) then put in washer and wash!

64807_101_0908.jpg

This is my button but I use the same setup for the coturnix as well (first week)

Second week they get either a water nipple or a bottle waterer choice since they can't drown in those.
3rd week I add a small J feeder for food
4th week they go out to the grow out pen to be acclimatized to outside (reducing heat etc)
6th week I try and start tagging boys (I have white, ranges and goldens)
7th week girls get tossed into the adult pen! boys get tossed into bachelor pen.

Newspaper that is not shredded will cause spayed leg. I like oine shavings, but they cost more. With pine shavings the natural scent helps cover up the odor and they are not hard no the chick's feet.

Sweet thank you for the ideas! I have shredded paper at the ready (it's plentiful inmy house and cheaper than pine shavings.

I will use towels until they are old enough to navigate the paper.

Pics coming soon of the brooder....

You can also use yesterday's news unscented. it's pelleted bedding but it works too. I use it on coturnix chicks and button chicks. If I don't have that handy I use pine shavings or shedded newspaper. As long as it's not flat you are good to go
big_smile.png

wood stove pellets work well too. you can sift it too and put the large stuff back in and take the small dirty stuff and place in compost pile.

I didn't think of the wood pellets! Those are relatively cheap where I am, plus they could be burned when done....(smelly yes, but since I have a shop or two to heat out here, I could burn them in the wood-stove out there....)

The brooder is now set-up!

In progress, freshly washed and dried. Towels are in. Will switch to paper once the chicks gain their "walking" legs...
Photo425.jpg

Seems like a good place for it. Next to the Incubator.

Photo426.jpg

All done!
Photo432.jpg

Photo429.jpg

Photo433.jpg

1/4" hardware mesh over the top and a 150 watt red heat lamp. The bottom of the brooder sit at about 90 degrees after some adjustment of the height of the lamp. Just about right!

Quote:
PETE THATS PERFECT! ONCE THEY ARE ABOUT A WEEK OLD YOU CAN SWITCH TO REGULAR NEWSPAPER (THEIR LEG JOINTS WILL BE SET BY THEN AND SPRADDLE LEG IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM)

At least I know we have it right!
smile.png

I keep hearing a random cheep from somewhere. It's not from the big Quail cage! I haven't been able to pin out down, but maybe it's
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
time? I can't see any pips in the Quail eggs though....
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom