Using Poultry Nipple Waterers in Brooders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MarissaC, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MarissaC

MarissaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Near Waco, TX
    Alright, so, I finally jumped onto the poultry nipple waterer idea! But now, I'm afraid to use them. I'm going to set them up in some of my breeder pens ALONG with regular waterers in hopes that my older chickens will figure out the nipple waterers. However, I'm not sure how to introduce it to the chicks.
    I hatch new chicks every week and sell them quickly. So, I usually only have young young young chicks. Should I just one day replace their normal waterer with the poultry nipples and bucket? Will they figure out how to use the waterer on their own? Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I started my 3-day old chicks with nipples. I just put them in the brooder with the water bucket and watched for a while. The shiny metal lever with a bright red plastic base was irresistible and soon there was much excitement around the water bucket with several chicks tapping away at once. It took less than an hour for me to realize that I wasn't going to need to leave a water dish in "just in case".

3. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    One other thing.... for chicks that are a few days old you should place the nipples at eye-level and raise the waterer every 5-7 days as they grow.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yep, making it easy to adjust height is a very good idea with growing chicks. If you have a big size variance, it's also a good idea to put a block under for the smaller ones to stand on so you can have it high enough for the larger ones to drink comfortably. They ought to be able to stand underneath the bucket.

5. MarissaC

MarissaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Near Waco, TX
    Thanks! I will try this out :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by