Using Pre-cut Mini Barn KITS - Newbie with ???s

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sab, Dec 27, 2010.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Ok - I'm looking at these mini-barn kits sold at places like 84 Lumber and Carter Lumber -- to use for a coop. I'm looking @ the 8x8 size. How much modification will I have to make? Will there be adequate ventilation in those? I know I will have to put at least 1 window and I'm even thinking of putting in an insulated full storm door for the door instead of the door that comes with it for even more light. I am figuring if I get the 'saltbox' style then I can put solar panels on the top for some added light if needed. I plan to put down vinyl flooring so to protect the wood from absorbing water and waste. Has anyone used these successfully?? And do you have an pictures of what you have done to them??? Thanks in advance.
    Sally

2. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Do you have any photos of the 8 x 8 you were thinking of? It is hard for people to visualize what needs to be done and give you constructive advice.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:Yes a picture tells a thousand words in describing a coop.

-Nate

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    It's usually fairly simple to add ventilation. If the structure is a standard 2x4 stud and sheating construction, you should be able to open up the gable ends and cover them with wire and then trim them in. I have a coop that I designed which has a saltbox roof. The front (high side) and both gable ends are wire for the top 1'. I would think it would be more secure (and cheaper) if you used 2 windows instead of a window and a storm door. Every storm door I've ever seen has been quite flimsy. Other than that, you would need to make a pop door, nests and roosts. Those are things to keep in mind when considering where to put any windows. One other thing to consider if you get a saltbox roof... You will want to orient it so that the venting is opposite the prevailing winter winds. In my case, i have the front facing south and a window facing east. It gets good sun all day, but blocks the north wind.

5. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Thanks for responding!

I haven't bought anything yet but what we are looking at is posted on this site: http://84lumber.com/Home/BuildItYourselfers/StorageBuildings.aspx

I
    should have labeled this post "Bringing husband into the Flock mentality". He was dead set against chickens. And absolutely no ducks. We now have 3 chickens and a duck. He was against the 'smell' and the 'filth'. So I showed him chicken trackers and how wonderful they were for moving the birds around the yard - no smell, no filth! Then came winter. No moving the tractor now. It's enclosed in a fenced in area and we've had to build a pitched roof over everything to allow the birds some movement. NOW he sees the wisdom of a permanent hen house. NOW he's saying we need a hen house but he doesn't want a shed - which is what he thinks ALL hen houses look like. So I showed him multiple pictures of lovely hen houses from this site.

He's coming around. But he firmly believes that with the cost of lumber going up, that a kit is cheaper. I don't know the answer. I just know my birds need a warm dry home this next winter.

I appreciate any thoughts and help.

6. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:That is so true about husbands and flock mentality, lol. My hubby is the same way, he came around just a little bit [​IMG] I'm at the same boat as you are but you are lucky that you have a small flock. The bigger the flock gets, the less likely it will be portable, I've been told [​IMG] Good luck with everything

7. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Hubby is adjusting to the 3 chickens and a duck. But I have plans for more chickens. He just doesn't know it yet. Soon, he'll be talkin' chicken too.... just gotta manipulate his way of thinking --- show him the light so to speak....

At least he is enjoying that I enjoy it! If not, we'd be getting no where on this. The sad thing is - we're wasting money in the process. I had shown him the chicken tractors - we found cute ones on the web. And he up and bought one for me for my birthday! What could I say --- 'dear, thank you but really we need to spend the $$ more wisely'. I don't think so. Birthday present sealed my mouth shut. So we have a chicken tractor in the snow and cold. Great for spring through fall. But forget winter. We'll spend less on a permanent structure than we did on that tractor! I know I am getting him hooked though --- how many husbands surprise their wives with an overpriced chicken tractor off the web for her birthday?! Yelp - I'm winning this one!!

[​IMG]

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    LOLLL but you're lucky. My husband thought he did me a favor by putting up the roof, and it flew off LOL. The chicks and ducks and me of course is left out in the cold without a roof, so much for that favor ! What kind of tractor do you have ? Maybe you can find a way to work for you [​IMG]. Do you have pic's of the tractor ?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  9. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    OK so we bought a Lowes Quick Shed that we put together and revamped to meet our chickens (and now 2 ducks) needs. I live in Central Texas where the weather gets really hot in the summer but the winters are usually mild (20's is usually the lowest we get for a day or 2 at a time). We added windows on bothsides and front for ventillation in the summer. We also added vents in the upper back side. It came with a small round approx. 8" round vent in the front. My shed has double doors so we made a wire door that we can open during the day in the summer. I use plastic milk crates for nest boxes. My hubby made a shelf to put them on. I have several nest boxes but the truth is I could get away with 2 as that is all they use. We added roost boards but they usually roost in the rafters which is fine. Mine is 8 x 10. I have 7 standard chickens , 4 bantams and now 2 ducks (my brother gave them to me for Christmas). They all get along well and seem to have enough space on those days that they prefer to stay inside. I added runs on both sides of the coop/shed and will probably be adding on more so that the run goes all the way around the coop. You can go to my BYC page and see picturesl It wasn't hard to fix the shed up into a coop. There are still things I want to do with it but it will have to wait until spring now. I also have a tractor that I love. I have parked it for the winter. I really like my coop the best but the tractor is fun. I'm just afraid my chickens wouldn't stay warm enough in the tractor in the cold months. So yeah, you can convert a shed into a pretty nice coop. Hope this helps you some.

10. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    very nice indeed, wow. I love it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by