1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using radiator for brooding chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Molnut, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Molnut

Molnut Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hello All,
    I am considering using an oil filled radiator to brood my chicks. It has the convenience of constant temperature and allows for the chicks to have a night/day rhythm.
    I feel it is more natural than the red light which has to be on constantly to ensure their well being.
    Any input appreciated.
    Thanks

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    That could probably work. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't. The only problem I see with it is you'll end up heating a much bigger area then you need to heat. A brooder just needs to have a certain temperature there for the chicks to warm up. I'm going to use the Mama heating pad method when I get my new chicks. If you haven't read about that you should. Basically it's making a frame and attaching a heating pad underneath. You make a cave the chicks can get into when they are cold. They put their backs against the heating pad just as they would the broody hen. People have used this method even outside when it's cold. My chicks are arriving first week of April. It'll still be chilly here in northern Montana. Heck, at the rate the snow is falling sometimes I think we won't see ground until then. Anyway, my chicks will be outside in a screen porch with the Mama's heating pad.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicks don't need a constant temperature. They need a warm zone and a cool zone. That isn't exactly easy to do with a space heater.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This would not be a good way to heat them, as stated by JB. Have you checked out brooding with a heating pad? Read this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

And check out the MHP thread.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. Molnut

Oct 1, 2015
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thanks to all.
    I will check on the links you forwarded.
    What is the "MHP" thread?

FYI, the radiator would be in a 5x5 box with 2 feet tall walls. The difference in temperature zones would be achieved by lifting the sheet in corners to lower the temperature. The rest will be covered while providing for ventilation.

7. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    MHP stands for Mama Heating Pad.

8. Molnut

Oct 1, 2015
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thanks!

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The cool should be about 20 degrees cooler than the warm zone.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How did this work out?
    Got any pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by