Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
Hello all,

I have a chick, just about four days old, who appears to have a wry neck. Although its condition is opposite the normal description of wry neck (i.e., stargazing) because it's head/neck bends down. It often tucks its head under its body, starts walking backward and then flips over onto its back and struggles to get up.
I've purchased Rooster Booster's Vitamins and Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus. Any advice on the best way to give this to the chick? The container instructions say to use 1/3 teaspoon per gallon of water, but I'm wondering if a stronger dose is needed since this is a medical need.

Eggcessive, I have found your answers to other questions very helpful. Do you have any advice?

Hello all,

I have a chick, just about four days old, who appears to have a wry neck. Although its condition is opposite the normal description of wry neck (i.e., stargazing) because it's head/neck bends down. It often tucks its head under its body, starts walking backward and then flips over onto its back and struggles to get up.
I've purchased Rooster Booster's Vitamins and Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus. Any advice on the best way to give this to the chick? The container instructions say to use 1/3 teaspoon per gallon of water, but I'm wondering if a stronger dose is needed since this is a medical need.

Eggcessive, I have found your answers to other questions very helpful. Do you have any advice?
Hi @Cassy and Caliber :frow Welcome To BYC

Mix the RB Vitamins and Electrolytes per the instructions on the container.

For Wry Neck, personally, I think it would be better to get a bottle of Vitamin E and B-Complex and use those.
Squeeze out 1 (one) 400IU Vitamin E capsule and crush up 1/4 tablet B-Complex and give that to your chick, you can mix that with a little yogurt and syringe it into her if you need to. This can be mixed in a little bit of food as well.

Hope she recovers soon.

upload_2019-3-8_22-59-37.png
upload_2019-3-8_22-59-52.png

Hi @Cassy and Caliber :frow Welcome To BYC

Mix the RB Vitamins and Electrolytes per the instructions on the container.

For Wry Neck, personally, I think it would be better to get a bottle of Vitamin E and B-Complex and use those.
Squeeze out 1 (one) 400IU Vitamin E capsule and crush up 1/4 tablet B-Complex and give that to your chick, you can mix that with a little yogurt and syringe it into her if you need to. This can be mixed in a little bit of food as well.

Hope she recovers soon.

View attachment 1695708View attachment 1695709

Thank you Wyorp Rock!

I have two of five silkie chick's who just developed this, I also just got the poultry cell rooster booster, did you combine that with the vitamins suggested to get the chick to where it is now?? Thank you!
Hi @Vernlumma :frow Welcome To BYC

Hopefully @Cassy and Caliber will come back and tell you what they did.

If you have Poultry Cell give that a try, if they don't improve after a couple of days, try the separate vitamins as described in POST#2
Let us know how your babies are doing.

Hi @Vernlumma :frow Welcome To BYC

Hopefully @Cassy and Caliber will come back and tell you what they did.

If you have Poultry Cell give that a try, if they don't improve after a couple of days, try the separate vitamins as described in POST#2
Let us know how your babies are doing.

Hello! Welcome to BYC Vernlumma! :frow

I would recommend Wyorp Rock's suggested treatment for your chicks.
I decided to use some supplements I had on hand: Rooster Booster and Molasses. I believe the reason the supplements I used worked was that they are high in vitamins. I mixed a gallon of water with the Rooster Booster per instructions and filled the chick's waterer with this every day. Then I mixed about a half teaspoon of molasses into 1/4 cup warm water and fed the chick a small 4ml dropper once a day.
After three days I saw significant improvement in the chick and had trouble picking it out from among the others :)
However, a day later another one of our Silkies suffered a minor neck injury also causing it to have a twisted neck. I've treated this chick the same way, only even more carefully since I knew it had been hurt. It has taken this chick longer to improve. Today the chick is almost back to normal and holding its head well. I'm hopeful that in a few days it will also be healed and suffer no more!
I would first recommend the vitamins because what worked for my chicks might not work for yours. Since two of your five have developed wry neck, assuming there was no cause for injury, I would give extra vitamins to all the chicks.

I hope you find this helpful and that your chicks recover well!

Thanks! I'm going to get the vitamins in addition, mine seem to do better then the one who initially developed it will regress for some reason. Noticed every other day it is worse, laying on ground head tucked under, then by the end of day its doing better. I've not had this happen before even with past silkie chick's. I've gotten a better chick feed as well since yesterday. Just confusing trying to figure out why!

Thanks! I'm going to get the vitamins in addition, mine seem to do better then the one who initially developed it will regress for some reason. Noticed every other day it is worse, laying on ground head tucked under, then by the end of day its doing better. I've not had this happen before even with past silkie chick's. I've gotten a better chick feed as well since yesterday. Just confusing trying to figure out why!

You may find these articles help clear some of the confusion.

Preventing and Treating Wry Neck in Chicks and Ducklings | Fresh ...https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html

You may find Poultry DVM to be especially helpful because at the bottom of the website you will see the Chicken Symptom Checker: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/wry-neck

How old are your chicks?

Back
Top Bottom