1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using Sand for Run Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickensXOXO, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I've decided on using sand for my silkies' pen, as everyone seems to agree it's the best options.
    Now I need to decide how much I need.... how deep should it be?

It'll probably go to Lowes and get the 50 lb bags, and I need to know how many bags I should get.

The run is 10 x 10.

2. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    You will need a few yards ... you should check on getting coarse sand from a quarry if you can. MUCH cheaper! Google it ...
    What will be under the sand? 4" deep will.be a good depth

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

You've made a great choice! My husband goes to one of those sand and gravel places and gets it by the truckload for me. We get a good scoop in the pickup truck, and it costs us about $15.00.

If you buy it in the bags, you'll probably have to buy ALOT! LIke 15 bags...I like my sand to be at least 4 inches deep.

There's no set rule though. :)

4. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Thanks! I'll see if I can get it the other way. Lowes is closer to my house, so that was my first thought.

5. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep the mobile version of this link on my phone.
    It is designed for concrete but I use it for soil, sand.. whatever I need at the time. It will help you determine the cubic yards, or how many bags (40# 60# or 80#) you will need for your project.

10 x 10 at 4" = 1.23 cubic yards
    111 40# bags
    74 60# bags
    56 80# bags

The current price for 60# bags of the Sakrete multi purpose sand at HD is $2.98 (Northern California) That's over $220.00.
    Bulk pricing at a yard should be much cheaper.

Hope this helps.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

6. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Wow, that's WAY more than I figured I'd get. I remembered a place in North Myrtle Beach, SC where they sell gravel and such, I'll check them out.

7. G-Man

I know, I know.. It doesn't go near as far as you would think.
    I had to fill the stage in our theater (acoustic preparation) with sand a few years ago.. I thought my math was wrong... it just couldn't be that much! So I bought half as many bags as my calculations said.. knowing that I would probably have to take some back. [​IMG]...The calculations were exactly correct! I went back and bought the rest.. 1300 pounds worth. In this case I opted for bags as I needed to tote them into the lower level of our house..
    That was a long day. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas

I appreciate your post, I know I definitely need to go the other route to save money and time.

9. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I'm calling tomorrow to find out the price of the sand.
    A friend of ours does landscaping for a living, and he said he'd pick up the sand for me and bring it over for no charge. [​IMG]

10. G-Man

AWESOME! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by