Using sand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackhorn01, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Is playsand the only sand that doesn't have silica in it? What about natural river sand?

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    If you can boil it and let it cool so you know it is clean then I think you can. I used play sand and had no problems but I heard later play sand had other problems but I never experienced any problems.

It worked great - was easy to clean with a scoop and caused no problems with my chicks.

Caroline

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]I haven't heard of any issues either, hmmm

4. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I have heard over time the silica from some types of sand can be harmful to them. I have never experimented with sand so I have no idea. Any other input on play sand or which sand does not have silica?

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yeah I'd be interested in hearing more as well. I'm not using sand in my coop but I thought about dumping some in the chicken run.

6. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    we use just plain old sand that we get at the cement plant ay our coop...as a stay at home mom, im not too knowledgeable about cement making :p but I do know theres always a huge pile of it there and its free. And its naturally mined sand nothin fancy. We use it in our boys' sandbox so figured it would work for our chickens. Its fantastic!! Just scoop up the poop and your done! My birds free range though and use the coop primarily for roosting so not a huge mess per say. But yeah easy clean up. We also mix in some Sweet PDZ and that helps keep the smell down!

7. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Sorry I guess maybe thats not helpful in the question of silica!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by