Using Silkies for Incubation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Preservation Acres, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hi folks,

If I were to use Silkies to incubate eggs laid by other breeds, how many medium to large eggs can an average Silkie hen incubate?

I've never had Silkies, but I know they're small birds.

Thanks!

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hey, Preservation! I'm in Rockvale too!!! Unbelieveable!! [​IMG]

I have a white silkie that just incubated 7 eggs. Four were standard and three were banties. She managed it just fine. I don't know how many more she can handle. I thought to try a half dozen standards under her next time she goes broody on me. Of the 7, four hatched (3 standards and a banty). Don't know if the problem was my silkie or not. My roosters are young and this was our first try at hatching. The three that didn't hatch had not developed at all so I'm guessing there was a fertilization problem.
    The plus side of using a silkie is that they seem to be awesome mamas. Mine is doing a great job!

What kind of birds do you have?

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have had a dozen RIR or barred rock eggs under a silkie a number of times. And they all hatched. I have heard of one hatching 16 leghorn eggs, but I think that is pushing it.

4. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:HEY!!!!! Awesome to get to meet a local. I'll send you a PM with more info.

5. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:Wow! Go Silkie.

Thanks!

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My silkie Diamond suddenly disappeared one day and we thought a hawk had killed her. We found her in a corner of our buff orpington coop (I have no clue how she got in there!)

She was sitting on 17 silkie eggs and 15 hatched! She is one of the smallest silkie hens I've had, but she is the greatest momma ever!!!

7. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:That's fantastic! I was considering getting a few silkies rather than getting an incubator. Now I'm sure I'm going to do it.

What a great breed!

8. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:That's fantastic! I was considering getting a few silkies rather than getting an incubator. Now I'm sure I'm going to do it.

What a great breed!

Where were you considering ordering from? I suggest JM Hatchery for their silkies. Every single one is a broody machine. My silkies from Ideal haven't gone broody on me yet.

9. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I was thinking about putting an ad on craigslist and trying to find some from a local person. Thanks for the hatchery reference. I'll need to check them out and see what's their minimum order. I only want about 4 silkie hens.

10. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I think their minimum is 15 chicks, so that probably wouldn't work out. What's really nice is that I can drive to the hatchery and pick mine up directly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by