Using storage totes for laying boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monkeemakr, Oct 26, 2011.

1. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I have several hens that are using to enclosed little laying houses, and they haven't laid much since I got them (I have open nesting boxes). They are used to a little house like each with a nest box in it. I was wondering, what if I took a rubbermaid storage tote and cut a door in the front side for them. I wanted to leave the lid on the top, and then I could just reach in there and grab the eggs. Would there be anything wrong with that? I know, this is so cheapo, definitely not going to win any awards on looks with this one, but does anyone know if it could be harmful in any way?

Thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It would work fine. Then you could take the lid off for cleaning/replacing bedding.

3. monkeemakr

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Thanks Chooks [​IMG]

4. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Quote:That works great,I made four for my hens when I first started several years ago and still have them,the only thing is you may need to put several small screws throuh the rim of the lids to hold them on so the birds won't tear them off getting in and out of the nests,I also put a short piece of 2x2 across the bottom of the hole in the lid to give the birds something to grasp with their feet when getting in and out.It also helps to hold the lid on,I used small bolts and washers on the 2x2's to not have sharp screw points sticking through..very simple to make and lasts for years,The only reason I don't use mine is I ran across a four hole metal nest box at a sale dirt cheap and don't take as much room

5. monkeemakr

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Quote:That works great,I made four for my hens when I first started several years ago and still have them,the only thing is you may need to put several small screws throuh the rim of the lids to hold them on so the birds won't tear them off getting in and out of the nests,I also put a short piece of 2x2 across the bottom of the hole in the lid to give the birds something to grasp with their feet when getting in and out.It also helps to hold the lid on,I used small bolts and washers on the 2x2's to not have sharp screw points sticking through..very simple to make and lasts for years,The only reason I don't use mine is I ran across a four hole metal nest box at a sale dirt cheap and don't take as much room

Thanks for the hints mxpres!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by