Using straw or hay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hamilton, Dec 6, 2010.

1. hamilton

hamilton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I have a 11 x 12 stall/shed that I am using for the chickens this year... there are 1 polish, 2 silkies, 3 golden comets, 2 barrockeds, 4 crossbreeds... This is my first year with chickens and want to make sure that they are warm... Do people use straw or hay to keep them warm? I have 3 2'x4'x8' roosts, 1 low 2'x4' x4' board for the silkies...and 2 nesting boxes. I have 2 bags of shavings and a large box 2'x4' wooden box with a roost inside... Thank you for any advice...

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I used to use straw but I find it annoying because the pieces are so big and it's an ugly color, so I switched to Bermuda because it's only like one dollar more, so now I have pretty, soft bedding. [​IMG]

3. hamilton

Jul 17, 2010
    I was wondering if they would eat it.. I was giving them some of the horses hay but read somewhere here that they said it was bad for them.. Where would I get the bermuda one?

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My chickens will scratch through it to find bits and bugs and stuff, but I don't think they actually eat large amounts of it per sey. Anywhere that sells hay should have it, it's very common.

5. hamilton

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks I will check into it tomorrow....[​IMG]

6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    straw for bedding, hay for eating - oat and alfalfa they love and good for them

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Another thing, the Bermuda composts faster and I don't have to worry about raking every last bit up because it's not nearly as ugly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by