Using Terra-vet 10 for necrotic enteritis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kristia, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Kristia

Kristia New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi, folks,
    We started with 37 meat chicks (Cornish Cross) 5 weeks ago. They are in a 10x10' shed with straw bedding and access to outdoors. T hey all survived the first 2 weeks on a medicated mash. At around that time we switched to a medicated crumble by a different manufacturer. At this point their feces got darker but seemed normal at first. After a few days we noticed looser poop and some birds that seemd under the weather. Over the next few days some of them got what I would call pasty butt(?) with feces kind of sticking on the little heinies but they still seemed to be pooping OK. In the last 3 weeks 7 birds have died (2 one day, and then one every few days). We think based on syptoms that they have necrotic enteritis and today got some Terra-vet 10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) to treat their drinking water but now I am concerned because I can't find any source that lists this medication for NE. Is it effective against the NE bacteria? Anyone with experience with this drug and NE? Alternative NE treatments?(we can't find bacitrycin (sp?) or lincomycin anywhere near us in eastern Idaho).

Thanks very much for any input you can offer!

K

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. Kristia

Kristia New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks for the link - this is a page I visited earlier today (along with about 30 others) but it didn't give the details I am looking for - which is whether Terra-vet 10 is effective against clostridium perfrengens, the bacteria the causes necrotic enteritis. I'd like to begin treatment right away if it is an effective treatment but will have to seek out an online source for lincomycin or bacitracin if no one has successful experience with the Terra-vet 10 as a treatment for NE.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by