1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using the ramp back into the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ozark hen, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    How old are the chicks when they usually learn to return to the coop by using the ramp? It has been since last year since I had chicks and I can't remember? Mine are 8 week old now and they come out of the coop, using the ramp but we have to gather them up for them to return at dusk. I don't let them out when the weather is bad since I can't depend on them returning on their own. They are fully feathered.

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    is there an enclosed run attached around the coop , if so they will go in before dark .. Maybe try leading a few up on the ramp and let the others follow ...

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    My last two batches were 8 weeks when we moved them to the coops and they caught on the first day. I just put some 6 week olds out about a week ago, with a heat light over their roost and have had to pick them up every night since, to put them back inside. I am not going to let them out of the coop for a week and see if they get it figured out, when the are let out again. Maybe somebody else has some help on this?

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly too steep, and/or too dark. Try putting footholds or strips across the ramp to make it easier to gain traction. Also, a little solar light pointing in the coop so it's not so dark helps with some chicks.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    All great advice guys!! They do have a light inside the coop, the are in a very large run. The older hens go back in and I was hoping they would follow...maybe in another week. [​IMG] Yep, the ramp has strips on it but it may be too steep, I will see if spouse will make me another longer one for them. They use it to come out but the little [​IMG] don't want to use to return. They may need it to be brighter, too. I will turn on another light for them. I don't wait until dark as they bed down in a corner of the run all huddled up and I worry so I put them back inside after a" chase me and catch me if you can" every night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by