Using themometer with probe - which temp do I look at?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jul 24, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I bought an accurite themometer this time and put the probe in a water wiggler. Which is the "crucial" temp to look at?
    "in" says 101.3
    "out" say 102.6
    humidity a looooowwwww 29% YIKES!

This is in the Hovabator 1602N still air.

Eggs may arrive today and trying to get it right [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The "OUT" temp gives you the temp off the probe - so that's your WW temp.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The probe should be your outside temp as it normally would be put out a window or a hole in the wall to measure the temp. outdoors. That would be the more crucial temp as that is the internal temp of your eggs.

Some say humidity between 40-45% and some use the dry incubation method described here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=796959#p796959
    It
    is up to you to decide which way you want to try.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... the "out" is the wiggler, and should be around 99.5°F. The "in" temp is the air temp in the 'bator, and should probably be around 101-102°F. I keep mine right at 100.5°F and have good hatches from my LG still air. [​IMG]
    I keep the humidity about 45-50% during the first 18 days, then bump it up to somewhere around 70% the last 3 days. It will spike as they start to hatch, but don't worry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok bringing it down. The mail just came and no eggs [​IMG]
    So i have another day...

I suddenly feel so empty inside.

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I just realized - Why is it warmer in the WW than the air outside of it? That seems opposite of yours AK?

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    :aww
    You're right... waiting for eggs is almost as bad as watching for pips. [​IMG] But it will be good to have another day to stabilize the temps. Don't forget, though, that you might have it set perfectly, and when you put the eggs in it's going to change the dynamics. Don't touch the controls for several hours... let it stabilize again (it won't hurt them if they're at 97°F for a half a day) before fiddling with the temps. Just keep an eye on it, every few hours check it, and adjust if needed. [​IMG] Sending good pre-hatching vibes your way!

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:It's just stabilizing and the WW temps take longer to change, and you probably looked at it during an off-cycle. The air temps will oscillate some... don't worry about those temps... concentrate on keeping the WW at 99.5°F. [​IMG]

9. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks AK - I had it running since yesterday, but just put the WW in this morning. I bought the accurite because I want this (my 3rd) hatch to go well. My 4th hatch is going to be BCM if I can get my hands on some eggs - so I want to make sure I do everything right. I have learned and improved things each hatch. I also have a homemade bator I am going to start runnning tonight for some other eggs.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You know, my homemade 'bators (a la Miss Prissy) are the best/easiest incubators yet! LOL! I need to make one wide enough to easily hold my autoturner, and then I'd be set! I incubate with the LG still air, then hatch in my homemades since they seem to hold the higher humidity. A little trick I learned - fold up a papertowel and place it in a single-serving yogurt container or small Ball Jar and fill with water. If you leave a little of the papertowel sticking up out of the container, like a wick, and place it in front of the fan, it works really well at keeping the humidity at ~ 50%. When I want to up the humidity, I put another dish of water in there, or simply squirt water on the bottom of the incubator, below the screen and eggs, and voila'! It's at 70%! [​IMG]

Of course, in the still air, I just placed the folded paper towel under a vent hole, and I squirt water in there whenever the humidity starts to drop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by