Using this as a duck coop... conversions?

I suspect by the time you are done you would have been better off to build what you needed, mine is 8x8 and could be bigger. Then you will want windows, ventilation etc, duck door? Also a 4x8 looks pretty tipsy, like a strong gust of wind would overturn it. Whatever you do make sure you can stand up in it. I cant in mine and it is a pain.

I think it could work, and if you're not set-up to build (time, resources, space, tools, etc.), then this could be a good option. Will you have an attached run?

It lists "Floor Storage Capacity" as 210 square feet, which I don't understand. It looks like you'll have ~32 square feet if you keep the whole floor open for the ducks. So as long as you plan to keep your flock at no more than 6 or 7 large breeds, that could work.

For modifications, it looks like you'll need to add more ventilation and a duck door at the very least. I would also want windows. I'd probably add shelving for food, bedding, etc.

I suspect by the time you are done you would have been better off to build what you needed, mine is 8x8 and could be bigger. Then you will want windows, ventilation etc, duck door? Also a 4x8 looks pretty tipsy, like a strong gust of wind would overturn it. Whatever you do make sure you can stand up in it. I cant in mine and it is a pain.
I can’t build anything for the life of me, some suggested a shed converted, and I figure that would save my life. It’s also much cheaper than. Those prefabs they sell.

I think it could work, and if you're not set-up to build (time, resources, space, tools, etc.), then this could be a good option. Will you have an attached run?

It lists "Floor Storage Capacity" as 210 square feet, which I don't understand. It looks like you'll have ~32 square feet if you keep the whole floor open for the ducks. So as long as you plan to keep your flock at no more than 6 or 7 large breeds, that could work.

For modifications, it looks like you'll need to add more ventilation and a duck door at the very least. I would also want windows. I'd probably add shelving for food, bedding, etc.
I plan to keep a very small duck flock, and have four on there way. I may or may not expand the flock, but if I do, probably no more birds than 6 or 7 anyway.

Shelving is a great idea.

I probably should have clarified in my OP post,

I would definitely be adding ventilation. I’ve kept ducks before, and know it’s important. Also, the coop would be on the outside of the attached run. I would crest a more secure lock for the walk in door, and use an auto door to attach the coop to the run securely.

My main concern is what do I do to the floor so they don’t ruin it?

I probably should have clarified in my OP post,

I would definitely be adding ventilation. I’ve kept ducks before, and know it’s important. Also, the coop would be on the outside of the attached run. I would crest a more secure lock for the walk in door, and use an auto door to attach the coop to the run securely.

My main concern is what do I do to the floor so they don’t ruin it?
We have a wood floor in our duckhouse, and we use the deep litter method. You can add linoleum, paint or a product like Blackjack to protect a wood floor, but you're still going to want bedding.

We covered and predator-proofed our attached run, and I'm super glad we did. We rarely lock the ducks in at night.

One thing we didn't do was to make a way to easily separate birds in the duckhouse but in a way that they could be right next to each other (just wire between them). I wish we had done that.

We have a wood floor in our duckhouse, and we use the deep litter method. You can add linoleum, paint or a product like Blackjack to protect a wood floor, but you're still going to want bedding.

We covered and predator-proofed our attached run, and I'm super glad we did. We rarely lock the ducks in at night.

One thing we didn't do was to make a way to easily separate birds in the duckhouse but in a way that they could be right next to each other (just wire between them). I wish we had done that.
Duh, of course I need bedding :)

my run is an omelet run and they are very secure, I have one for my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom