Using Tylan liquid in water instead of powder to treat NE

Oldtymegal

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2015
Just got back from Vets office that ran a fecal on my chicks (11 wks old) with bloody poop. They still saw coccidia, not a heavy load but the Vet wanted to treat for colitis. I've already treated with Corid 3 -4 times so I was surprised at still seeing coccidia. They said to get Tylan powder to treat. When I got home I realized I had the Tylan 50 liquid at home because I was using to give injections to an isolated chick with respiratory infection. I rather not put out any more money right now. Online it says you need to give 850 to 1400mg/ gallon. If my math is right at 50mg/ml, if I put 20ml/cc in a gallon of water that would give me 1000mg solution. Does this sound right? Has anyone else treated for this?
I

Tylan treats enteritis (NE) which can occur after coccidiosis, but Tylan does not treat cocci. How many chickens do you have and how much does each weigh roughly? It might be more simple to give it orally to each chicken, or on a piece of bread with some yogurt, egg, or something else they like. You would use 10 mg or 0.20 ml of the Tylan 50 injectable given orally once or twice a day for 5 days. Sometimes I will take a little buttermilk or plain yogurt, and beat in a raw egg, and mix in some small bread crumbs, and the chickens really go for that.

Thanks for the fast response. The Vet tech suggest doing the Tylan treatment first to combat the loose, bloody stools since the coccidia load was low. Then followup with a course of Corid. This will be 3rd or 4th round of Corid which I would think is excessive, but I do live in hot, humid, wet Florida. I did just try the Tylan on a piece of bread but they refused it. Trying to give it orally, I wasted as much as I got in them because they kept shaking their head. They are all in the 700 - 800 gm range. Do I understand that I can put the Tylan liquid in a mixture of yogurt & eggs? They usually eat both of those eagerly. My question however if online says the dose for NE is minimum 850mg how could you get anywhere near that with 0.2ml which would be only 10mg? Was that dosage way off? I am a newbie trying to do the right thing.

Well I am not a vet, but most medicines mixed in the water are for multiple chickens, and it is calculated for them to drink a certain normal amount of water per day. Tylan Soluble Powder is usually dosed at 1 teaspoonful per gallon of water. That will deliver the proper amount per chicken for respiratory diseases, which is a higher concentration than required for NE, according to this chart:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-soluble.html

I've been looking for Casportpony's link that has the Tylan dosage for birds from Plumb's Veterinary Handbook. That says 10 to 40 mg per Kg (2.2 lb) 2 or 3 times a day.

Thanks, I am just treating 3 chicks so I took your suggestion to mix tylan liquid dose in egg & yogurt which they will eat. Spoke with Kathy/ casportspony & she figured the right dose for me. She says for NE it is 110mg/kg/day or 0.22ml/100gms/day usually split in 2 doses.

Back
Top Bottom