Using vinyl for a coop floor

palford23

Hatching
Jun 23, 2020
Georgia
Hi I've had my three Buff Orpington pullets in their new coop for about 8 weeks now (they're 16 weeks old) and the plywood floor is very difficult to keep clean particularly if poop gets through the shavings and sticks to it. Im thinking about putting vinyl flooring down but am worried about mold/nastiness forming in the small amount of space in between the vinyl and plywood. Is that something that i should be worried about or can i just slap vinyl down on top of the plywood?

-Thanks

Hi I've had my three Buff Orpington pullets in their new coop for about 8 weeks now (they're 16 weeks old) and the plywood floor is very difficult to keep clean particularly if poop gets through the shavings and sticks to it. Im thinking about putting vinyl flooring down but am worried about mold/nastiness forming in the small amount of space in between the vinyl and plywood. Is that something that i should be worried about or can i just slap vinyl down on top of the plywood?

-Thanks
That's tough to retro fit, they're so curious they may pull the vinyl up, we painted the floor before ours moved in. I caulked around the perimeter of our coop and they quickly removed it. You can try the vinyl, I don't think it will last. Good luck!

I put down a coat of polyeurothane before I installed the linoleum. It's held up very well. Be sure and tack the sides
Coop & Run 005.jpg
all of the way up or the shavings will get lodged in the top crack.

Thanks for the advice everyone I’m gonna give it a try, so I shouldn’t glue it down then? Just staple it where I curve it up the sides a little?

Thanks for the advice everyone I’m gonna give it a try, so I shouldn’t glue it down then? Just staple it where I curve it up the sides a little?
I didn't glue mine, want to be able to remove it easily if necessary.
Yes......or add trim to tack down sides.
I didn't tack up the short sides and wish I had, shavings got in behind and probably under some. Not terrible, but still.

Last edited:
Glue and stapled the top. Wish I'd put trim around the top. Shavings fall into the cracks and it's impossible to get them out. I read stories about the chucks tearing up the floor. That has not been the case.
Yep.
They could possibly tear it up.... if it's cheap, thin, and brittle.

Back
Top Bottom