Using Virkon S to clean pheasant house

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Oisin, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Ireland
    I am getting new birds in the next week or 2 red golden hen and trio of white crested kalij and I'm moving them into 2 houses that have had chickens in them but not any more and was wondering will Virkon S stop all the diease's that could be there from the chickens and stop the pheasants from getting them diease's thanks for any help

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The kalij do not trio well.I have never heard of Virkon S,so I can't help you there.You can spray everything with bleach and let it dry out before putiing any birds in there.I use Tek Trol for my brooders,I'm sure you could use that also.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Oisin

Oisin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Ireland
    They will be spilt up in to pairs I've 6 pairs and a spare male that's why I'm getting the trio so I can get him a hen

But do u think then Tony that bleach will get rid of any bacteria from chickens that would be in the house then?

4. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It should.I would hose the house down after a week or so just in case.What other birds do you raise?Why so many w.c kalij?Don't you like the nepals,horsefields,liniated or crawfords?
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Oisin

Oisin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Ireland
    I have all them Too but only a pair or 2 of each

6. Oisin

Oisin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Ireland
    By bleach tony like them same one you use for the bathroom and toilet or different bleach I ask because It can be harmful to things

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Laundry bleach.I didn't know there was different kinds.I know there's different scents.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    There are different strength bleaches. Almost all household bleach is 5% chlorine. Laboratory grade is 10%, and will kill almost any and all bacteria, viruses, except for those that form cyst or a hard encasement (shell) when in a dormant state.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by