1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using Wazine along with 5% Ivermectine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasHeifer, Aug 26, 2014.

1. TexasHeifer

TexasHeifer Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Texas
    I'm planning on worming my hens with Wazine soon and in the past have always used just Wazine and called it a day. I've been reading around in the forums and several people are reworming their flocks a few days later after using Wazine with other wormers. It seems a lot of people are following with the 5% Ivermectine (the pour on type). Is this necessary? Have I been doing it wrong all this time? Most of the things I've read act like Wazine only kills the adult roundworms and Ivermectine kills the babies/eggs. Is this true? On another note, how many of yall still eat the eggs after using Wazine?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont recommend wazine or ivermectin. You'd be better off using Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Both are very effective broad spectrum wormers. Wormers can kill certain stages of larva, but none kill eggs that I know of.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree. But I do like Wazine in between because roundworms are prevalent. Safeguard liquid is great.

1 person likes this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote: How do you know the birds drink it or drink enough of it to be effective?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Good point. But isn't that the same with all the meds that are added to a gallon of water?

6. TexasHeifer

May 4, 2014
    Texas
    Whenever I've used it and when my parents and grandparents used it we would take the water away from the flock late in the evening before they roosted and put the solution out early the next morning. They twice as thirsty the next morning so they tank up on it. We usually used Wazine in the hot summer since they would be drinking more anyway. When it's 100 + degrees a flock of 10 birds give or take usually had no problem polishing off the gallon mixture. But you are right Dawg, there really is no fool proof guarantee that each bird will get the amount they need. I usually worm them again about 9 or 10 days later for insurance.

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

FYI, to the bet of my knowledge, the pour on invermectin is *not* 5%, it's 0.05% (5mg/ml).

5mg/ml = .05%
    10mg/ml = 1%
    50mg/ml = 5%
    100mg/ml = 10%
    200mg/ml = 20%

And so on...

Studies show ivermectin as an ineffective wormer in poultry, so I wouldn't bother using it.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Yes it is, which is why the only one I use is Corid. :D

-Kathy

9. TexasHeifer

May 4, 2014
    Texas
    Corid(amprolium) 20%? The cattle wormer powder that comes in the bag right? Isn't that put in water to?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Both Corid 20% powder and Corid 9.6% solution are coccidiostats and are used in water. It's the only med I put in the water, and being as OCD as I am, I also give it orally just in case they aren't drinking. :D I use the liquid, so the oral dose is easy... 0.02ml per 100 grams is what I give.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by