Using wet grain in place of dried

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by extraordinaryfowl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    This is sort of a tricky question, I will try and phrase it as best I can -

Spent grain is 72% water, fresh (approximately). That means that out of 100 lb, if you dried it you would end up with 28 lbs dry spent grain.

So if you were mixing say 5 lbs of corn (assumed 7.5% protein) and 5 lbs of dried spent grain (assumed 28% protein), 50-50, you would get 17.75% protein.

Now say you mixed 5 lbs of corn with 17.9 lbs wet spent grain (5 lbs if it were dry). Would the birds get the same protein or the equivalent as when dried spent grain is used, since the only difference is that water is present? Because when chickens normally eat dry food and then drink, in the digestive track the water and feed is mixed, so nutritionally it would not make a difference if the feed is wet or dry when consumed. Is this assumption correct?

So in other words can I mix wet grain as though it were dry and achieve the same feed nutritionally by only taking into account the moisture present. (So instead of using 28 lbs dry spent grain, if I added 100 lbs wet instead, and changed nothing else in the recipe would it end up the same either way?).

I hope this is understandable - Just some of my musings. Any input is appreciated, thanks for looking.

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    So simply put does the water content effect the nutritional value - I don't think it would because the birds are getting moisture they would normally get anyway from drinking.

3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Look around here for discussions of "fermented feed". People have had very positive results with it, and they describe how they prepare it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by