Using Woodchips in chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Acresofchickens, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Acresofchickens

Acresofchickens TripleC

Nov 4, 2010
    Hello,
    We have a huge stack of woodchips in our yard and I saw that some people use them in their chicken's coops. But I also saw some posts that said chickens would get foot injuries if they got something stuck in their foot and since this is wood is it possible that they could get splinters stuck in it? Any pros or cons on usng wood chips in your coop?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    When I lived in east TX I could get the tree trimmers to dump chips at my place a couple times a year. Always used them in the coop as well as for mulch and in the compost. Never really had an issue with chicken feet that could be directly attributed to them, tho I tried to use the finer bits and leafier stuff for the chickens.

3. Acresofchickens

Acresofchickens TripleC

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks for that information. But I do have another question. Could there be anything in there that could eat and be poisined by?

4. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    depends on what they chipped up. Is this something you buy or like the chippers are dropping off? The only thing I can think of would be if there are vines in your area that get in trees that are poisonous and get chipped up with the tree limbs.

Most chickens won't eat stuff that isn't good for them tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by