USPS First.. for me anyway

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greeneacre, Jan 24, 2011.

1. greeneacre

greeneacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Garner, nc
    Bought eggs on Friday. Sent by Seller on Saturday. With previous packages, I checked the tracking number religiously and never once had they updated to to show the package was in NC let alone to my post office in Garner. so I didn what I usually do and call them starting around 9:00-- They don't open until 10:30 now in days. Got a new person this time and they asked if I had a tracking number. I told him I never bother with that as it never is up to date. While on hold while they looked for it --read the new person who answered the pasted it off to someone else to take care of with out telling what was needed-- I looked it up on and low and behold it was scanned in at 4 stops and was listed as being at my PO at 6:19 this morning!! Maybe they have been getting a lot of grief about not being able to actually track a package.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yay !!

Keep in mind when you call a PO to ask if a particular package is there, they often have to look through a LOT of stuff to find out. And chase down people, often starting with one then the other, etc. So unless said package has already been sorted at that office, or even if it has, it will take more than a minute to look.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Just a clarification ... delivery confirmation was never intended to be TRACKING like you get with UPS/FedX or Express Mail. While it is supposed to be scanned as it goes, updates are often not uploaded in the same timely manner. While I've often been able to 'track' my delivery confirmation packages, there is no guarantee.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Very true. I was carrying mail with Delivery Confirmation first started up, and the intent was simply an inexpensive way to confirm delivery, something that doesn't require a signature or have legal status like Certified Mail. Express Mail does have a number intended to give tracking information as well as a guaranteed delivery window (Priority mail carries no guarantee) but most don't want to pay the extra for it.

5. yanmar1610d

yanmar1610d Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Hinesville, GA
    I agree with you the Confirmation number that you get at the Post Office should also be a tracking number. And they, the U.S Post Office, are wondering why they are lossing business. With Fed-X or UPS I can see where my package is at anytime once it is shipped. The USPS should be the same way. I have had eggs shipped and the information is never update until after I have it at my house. SORRY BUSINESS, SORRY SYSTEM!!!!

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The USPS has always been good to me. I dropped off 5 boxes at the PO this morning at 8 when they opened. The person that opens lets me just drop the boxes on the counter so i don't have to wait in line. Last year we ordered 2 peafowl and they were dropped at the main PO in the morning and wouldn't go to our PO until that afternoon. They called and let me know they were there and to tell me they would be at ours that afternoon or if I wanted them now I could pick them up there. Our local PO calls about 6:30am if we have a package there and lets us pick it up way before the PO opens. When we order shipping boxes etc our mail lady brings them back to the house and puts them in the feed barn instead of just dropping off a pickup notice. I can't complain one bit.

Steve

7. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Quote:Feel free to use UPS or Fedex and get that tracking number- for at least twice the cost for the same service. Technology isn't free, and there's a reason why they can keep costs down with the USPS on Priority mail. I'm sure not offering tracking is one of the big reasons.

8. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Quote:Feel free to use UPS or Fedex and get that tracking number- for at least twice the cost for the same service. Technology isn't free, and there's a reason why they can keep costs down with the USPS on Priority mail. I'm sure not offering tracking is one of the big reasons.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by