USPS Inefficiency

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Stacykins, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Honestly, I can see why the USPS is doing so darn poorly, losing money, and having to cut costs to make ends meet. It just seems to me time and time again that they are working harder not smarter with item shipping. I personally just checked the 'tracking' (well, not really tracking) on an item shipped with delivery confirmation, as it 'should' have been delivered earlier in the week. Not a big deal that it hasn't, it isn't time sensitive and it is the holiday season so delivery is slower anyway. But the package is in Wyoming for some reason. It was shipped from New York state. So for some reason the package overshot the midwest and ended up muuuch farther away than necessary. How?! Seriously, I can't think of any logical reason the USPS would have for diverting the package from NY bound to MI to a distribution center in WY. So now it has to travel back eastward to (hopefully) get delivered here, eventually.

And I know this isn't unusual at all. I am sure that almost everyone has a story on how the USPS screwed up their service in such a way that it makes you wonder how they managed to last this long.

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I know that they have already started closing some of the sorting hubs, so it's possible that it had to go past to WY to be re-routed to MI? It's a problem that is going to get worse, not better, as the cuts go through.

I once had a package take 16 days to get to my house from Memphis TN. It's a 3 hour drive [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There just trying to put there self out of busness.

I ordered stuff from amazon the other day. The stuff shipped from Chattanooga, 30 miles away got here the same day as the stuff from the north west. Was pretty quick though.

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I think the post office, like many in government seem as well, is out of touch with reality.

I would be fine if they skipped Saturday service, then they only need one carrier per route so other than sick days and vacations, your carrier knows the route.

I think pulling OUT vending machines because it is too much work to keep them up to date with the price changes encourages people to NOT use the mail. Because not everyone needs a bigger pack of stamps from the grocery store, or they need a different price stamp and they do not want to wait 30 minutes in line at the post office.

Raise the rates to .50 cents and then leave it there for a while! And raise the rates on junk mail too! Yes, most of that trash would not be mailed, but the stuff that does go out would go at a higher rate and require fewer people to sort and deliver.

And lastly, every postal employee should have to go to an out of the area office where no one knows them and wait in line with a package and see just how hard it is for the rest of us to use their system.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree, though I can't say enough great things about my tiny local P.O. The problem is that they've all but shut it down in favor of the next town over so the carriers have to go there to pick up their deliveries for the day. A carrier left a "sorry we missed you" in my box yesterday. We were there, so he didn't miss us, he just didn't make an effort, but he was not one of the regulars. The two regular carriers will call me if they have a box of eggs because they know I like to pick it up at the post office and this morning, Susan, one of them, called and said she had two packages and wasn't sure if they'd both fit in the box, so could I have the gate open just in case. I wish every carrier and every P.O. office had the same work ethic.

The worst thing is the partnership with FedEx, that SmartPost thing, which is anything but. [​IMG]

6. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    We ordered a package that was supposed to come UPS, instead our mailwoman delivered it, she said that they get alot of packages from UPS and deliver them.

Wonder why?

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I've had eggs in the mail for 6 days now, no confirmation to check on they have not updated anything. I think if we pay that much for shipping, we could at least get the packages scanned when they are suppose to be scanned.

8. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    As a wife to a postal worker, he's been there for the last 6ish years,
    works 6 days a week, still NO benefits. You guys can't
    believe how bad it can be. I just hope they don't go out
    of business.

9. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    I don't wish anyone out of a job, but just this week my eggs were shipped and got here on time but the person I was trying to ask for assistance from was RUDE. She was telling me there were 1000 boxes there and she couldn't look at each one. I told here we only had 1300 today and she wasn't the only person who had a job that had to handle freight.she could've been a lot less rude and a lot more friendly and I would've appreciated her qaundary.

10. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Seems to me, the post office could accept eggs/live chicks on Monday or Tuesday and ship to their destination for you to PICK up at the office and not send out on trucks and make sure that the eggs/chicks arrive by Thursday. Thus no egg/chick is left alone in the building all weekend. Friday being the pick up by 5 or the local feed store will be picking up and reselling (abandoned property) Yes it would be more of a challenge to get your eggs/chicks, but the odds on them would probably be better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by