USPS lost my eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by famerzellman, Sep 10, 2018.

1. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I usually get my shipped eggs within 2 days and this time I order eggs from a new lady through facebook. she sent me the receipt that the eggs were shipped on the 4th and today is the 10th. The eggs are still not here and the tracking is stuck on Florida. Are the eggs still viable? Should I ask for a refund? I’ve never had this happen and don’t know what to do :hit

2. pallas

pallas Songster

Jul 14, 2016
    I would ask for a return, they are most likely not viable. Try looking for a different egg source, maybe one thats close so you can pick them up or get them delivered faster. Sorry that happened.

3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Happy Holidays to all my BYC Peeps!

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I’m so sorry......:hugs I would definitely contact the woman you bought them from and ask for another batch or a full refund.

4. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Contact the seller, most of the ones I've dealt with ship so they are covered in case of lost packages. They usually just have to file a claim. Good luck!

5. Trux

Trux Songster

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    :goodpost: and good advice

6. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks everyone!!!! I contacted the seller and asked for a refund. I’m really worried that they aren’t going to be viable :hit. I feel so bad because I know it’s not her fault but usps’s. My next question what is the max that eggs can be in the mail for before they are no good?

7. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    I don't like to incubate anything 10 days or older. I really prefer eggs 7 days or less. If they come it won't hurt to go ahead and incubate them to see. Have you heard anything back from the seller?

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I have successfully incubated eggs that were laid over 10 days, but I still prefer 10 days or less. Hopefully she will send you a new set. The big "unknown" is wherever the post office left them, temperatures in the warehouse, direction they left them sitting, etc. I draw big UP arrows on my boxes, and still see the mail person lay boxes on their sides.

And the other thing is how old were they when she shipped them? I try not to ship anything older than 3 days on the ship date, unless approved by the buyer. So if they were already a few days old, be sure to add that to the shipping days.

Good luck!

9. famerzellman

famerzellman Songster

Apr 7, 2016
    Massachusetts
    So the eggs showed up at my post office today but they are 8 days old as far as I know from the shipping. I don’t know how old they were before however. I know they were lost in Florida which was probably hot and humid then mass (my state ) she read what I wrote but hasn’t said anything back yet so I’m not sure exactly how to go about this now.

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    :barnie
    Candle them... gently.... and check the air cells. Hopefully you'll hear back from her soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: