USPS, no more first class?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, they changed prices in January, and my lazy bum is just now trying to figure out shipping again. The link to their first class prices is gone, and they only have first class shipping prices for businesses. So, umm, what happened to first class mail?

Also, are the stamps $.42 or have they gone up? I knew I should have bought those forever stamps, just to save me this exact hassle (I rarely mail envelopes out, so I still have stamps from 3 and 4 years ago).

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Stamps what are stamps?? I havent bought one in years. Back then the postage was 37cents.

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lmao. I don't remember the last time I used them, but I recall having to use lots of the one cent stamps, lol. I always buy a bunch of them at a time, but I might use one per year, in a "productive" year, lmao.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Last year i didnt even step into a PO one ,this year twice so far to send out some stuff and today the fudge for the swap. But i used the automated Post Office.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    They are changing nearly EVERYTHING. And prices have jumped a lot.

The "forever stamps" are good no matter what they raise the stamp price too. Even if it is a dollar the Forevers are good, well. Forever.

I used to be able to ship a pound of fudge for under $5
    I just had to raise my shipping to just under $10 and that is with the Priority Flat Rate Box. which BTW you HAVE to get and use for Priority shipping. No more recycling a box, other than another priority one from the PO.

Oh and they have "asked" that they be allowed to cut delivery back to 5 days a week. which is how it was when I was growing up.

I get that things have gone up. But they are going to seriously hurt small business's with the rates being raised like this.

The only time I buy stamps is Christmas time or around my daughters b day for the aunts that dont have email.

6. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    According to my PO they are raising the rates of everything except the first class stamp.

I also heard something about only 5 day delivery weeks now, too?

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Here you go!

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm

If you have something that is very heavy and will fit in a Priority Flat Rate box, then that's a better rate- however, for ordinary stuff, Flat Rate is almost always more expensive.

I am using Parcel Post and First Class a lot more now- customers don't like paying so much for Priority. First Class can't weigh more than 13 ounces if it's a package.

If you print the shipping label online you get a tiny discount.

If you sign up on the USPS site, you can order Priority Mail boxes for FREE and they will deliver them to your door for FREE.

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Thank you! I wonder why it wasn't listed on the main "prices" page. Seems silly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by