USPS postal rates go up monday & proposal for 5 day USPS service

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bargain, May 9, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I don't want this to turn into a rant. We've been very pleased and will continue to use the USPS.....I think everyone knows that rates will be going up on Monday.

What concerns me is the Proposal by the US Postal Service to Congress to go to a five day delivery week in order to try to reduce costs. This could really cause problems for the egg delivery and chick delivery business....

Just thought you might want to know. Have a blessed evening

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    So the 5 day service would be Mon-Fri? Does that mean that the mail trucks also would not run over the weekend?? I don't think it would make all that much of a difference, we would just need to make sure to have our packages out on Monday or Tuesday, to ensure delivery by Friday. With all the rising prices, you wouldn't think they would need to cut down!

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The mail will run no matter what days the post office is available to the public.

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    From what I last heard it wouldn't be Monday through Friday, but Sunday and Tuesdays off. And yes, that would quite disrupt the transport of any living creature.

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    The delivery of live animals runs 7 days a week. I have heard of people getting their chicks on Sunday before. It will be OK!

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Will they still call it "Priority Service" ???

Raising rates and cutting service, only a Government run institution can get away with crap like this.

Total USPS volume went way down in last year due to economy.

There is no excuse for slowing service and charge more money for it.

If they want to cut the cost, they should lay off some of their sacred cow lazy and arrogant employees.

LOL

7. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    This will probably not happen. The postal carriers unions are against it, congress is against it. The post office is using this as a scare tactic to stop having to prepay people's retirement. They were not paying into the retirement programs and now have to make up the missed payments and prepay a set amount in a short period of time. It's a mess and really won't do anything for the postal customer but scare them into thinking that their delivey is going to get jacked up. Too many contracts would have to be rewritten and a new law would have to be passed by congress. By the time that all the ducks are in a row the mail volume would be too high again to make sense for a delivery day to be cut.
    Sorry if this message is a bit rambly. I am a postal carrier and today was the food drive. So I am tired!! The good news is our town did awesome on donating. THe food bank is having trouble finding places to put all the food till they can get it on the shelves.

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Just when i threw out all my 1cent stamps....blah hahahaha

So do i need a 44 cent stamp to mail tomorrow or am i good with a forever stamp. Darn postal service

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ya know, every organization in America is trying to find ways to stay afloat, so the Post Office makes sense. We will just ahve to be more aware of what days we send eggs and chicks is all.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Forever stamps should be okay, at least that's what they say. I wish I would have remembered that the prices were going up this morning, I would have stocked up on forever stamps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by