1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

USPS questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brooster, Jan 29, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I was wondering if it is cold outside does it matter if i ship eggs? They should stay inside most of the time right? If they dont have to hop on a plane. Its pretty much Local PO to little car to Big PO to big truck to another big PO to a little truck to little PO to lil car to destination. Right, so if the trip is not long they will just be in a big cold truck for a little while and if all the packages came out a a warm PO they should all be a big truck load of warmth right? Hopefully someone here works or knows some one who worked in a PO. So confusing [​IMG]

2. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    not sure about eggs but i can tell you with chicks, it all depends..we get chicks off our planes and they go to the post office on the airport. we try to move them from the plane to the PO as fast as we can but turning the flight takes priority. once the arrive at the PO they are unloaded into a large covered outdoor area connected to the PO, a rep will usually come right out and take the chicks inside. I think they are picked up right there but I'm not positive. what you may be able to do is ship them as "live animals" that way they'll be treated just as if they were live chicks

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Yeah but if you ship them as live animal you have to ship express. That is too pricey.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    quadcam:

What about live birds? I am supposed to ship a young ameraucana cockerel to TX soon and I have put it off because of the weather and he has been raised in a warm garage. So what you are saying is that they won't leave a live bird sitting out in the cold waiting to be loaded on an airplane so it freezes to death?

Thanks alot,

Jean

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  5. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    no they wont let it sitting in the cold, we get in deep shizzle for that. plus if the bird arrived dead we dont get paid by the USPS.
    I wouldnt sweat it, we take good care of the animals.... I unloaded to gazelles today ,that was interesting

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Thanks alot, that puts my mind at ease. I won't sell my birds to certain breeders around here because I know they will probably die, so I guess I am overprotective. I feel very responsible for them since I brought them into the world... [​IMG]

Jean

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    If it's going to be cold at the destination, you will want to put the recipient's phone number on the label along with instructions to call for pick up (might want to make sure it's printed big and bold). Tell the recipient so they aren't surprised about getting called to pick up their package. My carrier was the one who suggested this to me (when I was receiving eggs) because he didn't want to leave them at my door if it was cold and I wasn't home the day they arrived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by