USPS Workers out there???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pips&peeps, Jun 1, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I know there are a couple USPS workers out there and I have a question.

Can you tell me if the airport terminals are open on Sundays? I know some hatcheries ship chicks on Sunday, so I wanted to know how this is done.

I was supposed to ship chicks tomorrow, but they have hatched a day early......[​IMG]

So, I need to know if I can ship this evening.

Thanks,

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Nobody wants to fess up! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think that the USPS offices are all closed on weekends to the public, but I don't think the mail ever just stops. Just things don't get delivered to the customers on sunday.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I believe that the USPS trucks and planes run on Sundays but offices for you to go to and ship No.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I used to ship parcels out of the tiny PO right off an airport runway on Sundays. Then they moved to fancy, smancy new facilities about 1/2 mile away. No longer are they open on Sundays BUT they aren't open on Saturdays, either!!

Enter your airport's zip code and you'll get the post office's hours of operations here:

http://www.switchboard.com/usps.1355/dir/6_0/index.htm?mem=1355

This is the "PO search" from the USPS.gov webpage. Note that it is thru the private sector . . . must have been awarded a gov'ment contract . . .

Steve

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Most processing centers will be open on Sundays, but I don't know of any actual post offices that will be open for you to ship them out.

Can you not ship them first thing in morning?

7. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I was hoping they would leave out to their destinations tonight, because if I wait until tomorrow, they won't leave out until the evening.

The darn things hatched early and now I'm up a creek without a paddle......

They won't last another 2-3 days in the mail.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    :-( I'm sorry. How far do they have to go? I normally have my chicks get to their destination super quick (within state is less then 24hrs), but I know a lot depends on your location and how many states they have to go through.

9. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    One batch to Alaska, and they just started to hatch so, that might work out.

The others were supposed to go to NY.

I will have to set another batch. I can set them on Tuesday night and if they hatch a day early then the can still go out on Monday......

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Jean, I just realized that you are in Newman Lake :eek: . . . that post office where I'd ship on Sundays was Spokane!

Now, I don't even know where to drop a letter on a Sunday in Spokane. Nothing goes anywhere until Monday PM.

I've picked up chicks at the Hamilton Street terminal but that's been closed for a few years. There were nice, helpful folks there. I don't know where they went, probably behind the walls at 99224.

Please note that the 99224 airport PO opens at 7 AM . . . I'll stop complaining about 'em now [​IMG]. Good luck!

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by