Ut Oh! I think I got a Roo! *Many Pics*

Connorrm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
So here is the culprit. Came out of the "red pullets" bin at TSC. WAY bigger than all my other chicks (including the Sp. Sussex that I know for sure is a Roo boy) plus a very lightly pink color coming in and I think I"m seeing wattles! Estimated Hatch Date of 4/24 or 4/25:

Also, seems to have a lot of neat pattern to it for a production red.

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

And here's one of my favorite speckled sussex girl. She runs to my hand the second it comes in the brood and just sits in it. So, I always pick her up and she perches on my fingers for a neck and back massage! 99% sure she's a pullet. I have 7 other Sp. Sussex the boys have pink tinges to their combs and wattles coming in already!

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

The chick in question looks just like my three Production Red chicks, feather-wise. They're ten days older than yours. I bought them as pullets, but one is a roo. I began to suspect in the second week when s/he was so much slower to feather than the other two (although s/he was much smaller). The comb is MUCH more pronounced than the other two now. Here's how s/he (oh, who am I kidding...HE) looked two days ago, at 5 weeks.

86005_week_six_rudy.jpg

His tail is also different than the other two; the feathers are long and pointed, rather than poofy and rounded. And that's how Ruby became Rudy.

I agree. It looks much more like my two pullets than my roo. And I don't think Production Reds are sex linked because, if they were, I wouldn't have a (^@&$^%*@^&^!!!!) roo.

Ahh okay - guess she's just an early maturer - good to know. Just really towers over the other chicks and they all started off the same size when I got them.

What about all the black speckling/lacing. Is that normal? I guess I pictured them being more solid red colored.

Would you mind posting photos of your Speckled Sussex roos? I have one SS about the same age as yours and I'm questioning gender. Your photos would be helpful for comparison. Thanks!
smile.png

Here are my "roo" Sp. Sussex - well that's what I think they are anyway. They have a bright pink coming in and wattles forming where others don't. They also seem very thick in the legs.

I really love my chicks they are so stinkin' friendly!

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

Like I said, I feel like I can really see the pinkish/red coming in the "roos" that seems to be lacking in all my other chicks. Plus, the wattles

Thanks so much for posting your photos! I have to say, though, that with the possible exception of the last chick, I really think you have pullets.

Back
Top Bottom