Utah winter is here, coop works great!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jeffomatic, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jeffomatic

Jeffomatic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    I built a coop that looks like a big dog house, except it has a sealed "person door" on the end and a pop hole that has an alcove and automatic door. It has a "picture window" that's made out of the frame/glass of an old picture. I insulated the interior with 1/2" foam board covered with hardboard. I heat the coop to 45 degrees F. with an electric space heater controlled by an industrial controller I got for free. So far, my four chickens love it! It got down below zero for a few days and they tolerated confinement very well. I use pine shavings for litter and vacuum out the house about every two weeks. On warmer days they free-range all day on my 1/3 acre and roost/lay in the chicken house. When it's snowy, I lay down a board for a "pecking patio." I have it lit up with a timer for two hours every night after dark and they have continued to lay very well. The chickens are Australorps and an Orpington and those do well in winter if kept dry. As you can see, they are very fluffy and well-insulated breeds!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Your coop looks great and your chickens are beautiful.

3. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Well done! It looks so cozy.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] Great coop!

5. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Coop looks very nice, and your chickens look happy & healthy !!! [​IMG]

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If and when I die if God sends me back as a chicken I hope I come back as one of YOUR chickens.
    GREAT job !! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Not sure where in UT you are,but we finally had most of the 3 feet of snow melt in our yard and the chickens are back out in the yard. They are so happy.

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Snow in Utah? Why we've been hangin' out by the pool sipping margaritas watching the "hot Chicks" all week. [​IMG]

9. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Hehehehehe. I'll be down in Moab in Feb. I'll bring you a few snowballs in a cooler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by