Uterus coming out of vent

Yeah. She's gotten way worse. She's barely hanging on. I'm just comforting her for her last minutes. Is there any way to prevent this in the future?

Yep, don't buy sex link birds and, if you do, cull them before they turn 2 yrs of age. They are bred for high production, which wears out their reproductive organs and promotes reproductive issues such as cancer, lash eggs, peritonitis, prolapse, ascites, etc.

Cull birds when they cease to lay on regular cycles ....by cull, I mean kill. After they stop ovulating regularly, they can start having reproductive issues. Far better to kill them before they suffer than to let them lie their for days suffering and then die.

Culling each year for nonlaying can help prevent much suffering by good hens.

I'm sorry that she is dying. It is hard for me to put a chicken down who is sick and suffering, but I have finally been able to perform the task this year with 2 hens with different illness. Before that, my husband would do it, but I finally decided that it was my responsibility since they were my chickens.

Most chickens sold by hatcheries and especially feed stores are bred to lay more eggs than the hens our grandmothers had. Any hen who will lay an egg every day may experience reproductive disorders more often. In the past people ate their chickens for meat when they added new chicks to their flocks. Nowadays many backyard flocks are partly for eggs, and become pets to families. Unfortunately, we need to be able to end suffering in those chickens if they get sick. We are all different people--some of us will try hard to try to save them, while some will cull earlier. If they are suffering or the problem is obviously untreatable, it is best to put them down. That is the good thing about this forum, to get opinions from others that may help us to make up our own minds.

My girl passed. I will miss her very, very much. I have a lot of love for my girls
2764.png

So very sorry you lost her
hugs.gif
but at least she is no longer suffering. I very much doubt that even a vet could have rectified that damage even if you had been able to afford the ridiculous charge they quoted, so don't feel like you let her down in any way....you could just have been $1500 out of pocket and still nursing a dying hen.
I have seen people make a plaster cast of their hen's foot print and decorate it with a few of her feathers as a momento to hang on the wall. Just something you might want to consider as a keepsake.

Best wishes to you and the rest of your flock.

Barbara

Thank you. And that's a great idea. I'll do that. I also have a board that I pin their name on with pictures of them and their feathers. That's what I did when my other girl passed

Back
Top Bottom