Utility breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LongRanch, Sep 1, 2016.

1. LongRanch

LongRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    This chicken was entered in a show today under utility, but the breed wasn't listed. Any idea what it is?

[​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    She looks like an older austrolorp to me. Just guessing though. Mine have the light feathers around their necks. They are 3 years old. The black legs are an austrolorp trait as well. She also resembles my Speckled Sussex x Austrolorp mix-pictured above on the right.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under

Defintely not a pure Australorp! But nice bird anyway

4. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    Hmm I don't think she was an austrolorp, because all of the austrolorps were in another part of the show building. This one was with all the other 'utility' breeds. She was smaller than the austrolorps I saw and had gold streaks on her body. She was really quite striking. Of course all of the other utility chickens were brown or white like one would expect, and I've never seen one like this before.

5. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    Is the bird more gold in person? It looks like silver steering almost from the pic. IS it a black sex link?

6. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    Nvm it looks kinda like them except the black legs...

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It was probably a mixed breed.

8. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    It was entered in the actual show though, not in the 4-H.

9. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    It was pretty gold in person yes, but it's legs were actually slate grey. Body was such a dark brown it was nearly black, with some gold streaks.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Was this a fair show or an APA sanctioned show? Big difference. I've seen a Silver Laced Wyandotte win a fair show, the problem was that the bird was a Barred Rock! Just because a bird is entered at a 'show' does not mean that it's a purebred, or even a good example of a breed.
    It sounds like a fair/4H show, since the bird was entered in the Utility class. That class is not an option at APA shows. The Utility class is how sexlinks and other crossbreeds are entered for 4H shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by