1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Utilize these existing structures or build new? (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ShadyHillFarm, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    I'm looking for a place to put my chickens (looking to start off with about 8-12) and living on a very old farm we have lots of seemingly useless structures standing around. I have two that I've considered using, but am not sure if the work involved would be worth it. Would love some opinions/advice!

First structure is the end of an small, old barn/shed. Not the most structurally sound thing as my hubby fixed some tin on the roof last year and said it swayed a little under his weight. :/ It's a covered area of about 20 x 30, but at least 8-12 feet tall. I would like to still have small enclosed structure/coop for the chickens to get in within this space, but just wonder if this area would be a lot of space to try and enclose/secure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My other option, I believe is a very old chicken coop. It's probably 8 x 12? The old wood on the outside is rotting a bit, so I'm not sure if I would need to replace it ( I love that old wood patina!) or just board up from the inside. I want a covered run, so I would have to add that onto the structure. There are also very noticeable, large varmit holes in the ground inside. I don't really want to pour concrete, but not sure what else I could do. I know for a fact we have groundhogs and raccoons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Large hole near that support.

[​IMG]

So should I make an attempt to try and use these structures or just start from scratch?

2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    no expert here, but personally I like the 2nd structure:) The first one would be great, but it looks unstable, and my fear would be it would just collapse at some point maybe during a storm?? But if you could make it structurally sound, that would be great.

THe 2nd one I like the 'old' look, I'd plug up any holes in the walls, and I'd plug up any holes underneath, put in a solid wood raised floor..I would just plug it up good for predator proof..I like the 'old look' of that one...

3. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Thank you for your post! I thought about just framing out a floor to secure the bottom. Any ideas on how to plug up those varmit holes? I don't want them digging it back out and being able to get into my run if I put it on the side.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yeah, the shed is a nice start to a big coop. You may want to put a thin plywood on the floor. I'm not sure how big the floor gaps are but weasels can fit through very small openings. For little expense and a quick primer and paint it would be perfect.

To keep in mind when your making a pop door or human door would be to have them a good 6 inches or more up from floor so you can have deep litter in there for less cleaning maintenance. Another good idea would be installing a poop board under roosts to catch the majority of droppings. Tile or paint the board for easy scraping of poo from nights roostings every few days.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I also prefer the second building for a chicken coop. I think I would only put insured vehicles in the other shed! I have a chicken tractor with a wood floor... Now it is not an entire coop but I really like the wood floor. I know my birds are locked up tight at night and they are safe. My run is not very secure it is mostly for daytime use and actually I free range my birds all day so I do not use the run unless I am out of town. They also do not use the coop much, to lay eggs in the box and to roost at night. Are you going to free range daily?

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    That first structure would be fantastic since it has a large covered area! You could easily add some additional support posts and I would also run a few long boards connecting all the support posts as cross bracing to knockout any movement. The roof looks to be in good shape and tin/metal sheets? The ceiling joists also look to be in good shape. You could build a coop underneath and have a very nice large shaded run area with a few added end fences and nets to the roof. That would be my first choice if you can shore things up. Nice big area for a dozen chickens with room to expand. The second area will work fine as well.

7. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    4 the birds gave me a thought.....Maybe move the second structure into the first structure and put it on a plywood floor on skids. And do as 4 the birds suggested and shore up the building and hang poultry netting for a daytime only run. Then lock the birds up inside their wooden coop at night.

8. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    gg... Love your idea! I doubt that the second shed could be moved without taking it apart though. I am not sure how much work the OP wants to put in or their lever of ability. I would use the wood from the second structure and build a coop under the first structure. Wood skids under plywood would be a great floor with bedding ontop of that. This would keep the floor up and dry in the coop. Alot of potential for a great set-up!

[​IMG]

9. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    I agree! Man I wish I had that! I could start ordering chicks from everywhere!

10. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, as a serious abuser of Chicken Math, I would suggest using the old chicken coop to begin with, while simultaneously fixing up the shed structure. Why? Because you WILL need the space sooner or later. Chicken math WILL strike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by