1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Utilizing Wasted Space ... chickens under the porch???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by schu, Aug 18, 2013.

1. schu

schu New Egg

Aug 2, 2009
    Vacationland
    We have a small lot in the city... like many we want to get the most out of it.

The house has a wrap around porch, the space under the porch is wasted.

What are your thoughts on using the space under the porch as part of the chicken run?

Pros
    • Space is available
    • mostly snow free and will be rain free
    • Space will let the chickens run a little more
    Cons
    • manure... how to deal with it realistically, they don't care when or where... it just drops.
    • maybe hard to clean
    • eggs hard to reach if they don't lay in a coop
    • smell?

Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks

2. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Well, my flock has a nice coop, a run, and an acre they free range in, but they still love laying on my porch. I didn't do anything special, but they sure like it. They do poop on the porch a lot, so I spray it all off every day with a powerful hose bit.

-Cosmo

3. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Wonderful idea but I would wonder about the smell also. I have a deck that the hens would go under for shade it didn't stink but it wasn't covered so the rain could disenagrate (spelling) the poo.

4. schu

schu New Egg

Aug 2, 2009
    Vacationland
    As you can imagine we have had a range of ideas;
    • some sort of tray that would pull out from under the porch for cleaning
    • fans to dissipate any smell

I know the chickens would love the space, think of how many times they have gotten caught digging down and dusting in a flower bed.

5. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Just make sure they know the coop is their home. I made the mistake of putting food and water on my porch, and the chickens would linger around the porch for most of the day, resulting in more poop! So I just keep their food and water in the coop.

-Cosmo

6. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Trays that pull out sound good but then what would they dust bathe in unkess u filled with sand and just pull them out and scooped them as needed. Like a giant litter box.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    This make me think you are giving some serious thought to this project. I personally think it is do able. The worst that can happen is that it might be not quite what you thought. At worst you may have to come up with some sort of plan "B".
    That would not be the end of the world as you know it.

Go for it.

8. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I actually have coop in city under porch, with outside safe run. I love it, it is nicely insulated, cooler in summers, and warmer in winters from the house. I think it is really good use of space in my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by