1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    We had our first chicks delivered Monday. Loving them!
    Stopped at Pet Smart with my 5 yr old after soccer practice to get Pine Bedding for the chicks. (been just using the paper towels). Of course, can't buy just ONE thing, we end up looking at Hermit Crabs. I brought two home from Key West for him back in October, but one died a couple of months ago. So as he is picking up a replacement friend for "Tony Stewart" (guess how his shell is painted?) I see they sell very small crickets in little self-contained boxes.
    So impulsively I pick up a box, having heard how many of you give them to the chicks.
    So I get home, check BYC and realize I should probably wait at least another week before I give them to the chicks. Ok, no prob, I'll just leave th box in son's room and wait, or just set the crickets free tomorrow, no biggee. Did I mention the Brooder (a REALLY big Rubbermaid Garden box with the lid removed) is in son's room?

Later on I'm in the kitchen making dinner, and I hear that I-know-I'm-probably-in-trouble-but-if-I act-really-sorry-maybe they-won't-kill-me voice say, "Ummm, Mom?"
    "Yes, Holden?"
    "Um, ya know the crickets?"
    "Yeeees??"
    Meanwhile, husband, who knows nothing of the impulse cricket purchase says, "What crickets?"
    "Umm, I umm, tried to open the box and it exploded."
    So I jog into the room, and there are two of the (I think) 1 or 2 DOZEN that were supposed to be in the box, left. I glance at the chicks and I can see that at least two crickets landed in the brooder....and they (the chicks, not the crickets) are very pleased.

What are you going do? [​IMG] I laughed, told son the crickets would find their way out (our house is drafty enough they probably will) so he wouldn't freak out about it, and sprinkled some chick grit on the paper towels. Which I was going to do anyways, as they kept miraculously pulling the pine chips up around the edges of the paper towels and I am afraid they might eat some.

Never a dull moment around here. I swear if these chicks survive our inept handling they are going to be Super Chickens. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is too funny! I have to stay away from PetSmart and Petco. I am naughty.

3. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    LOL! That sounds like something that would happen here!

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    [​IMG] Atleast you laughed! When I had a bearded dragon and mine would escape, you would know when someone found one. Doesnt matter if it was my mom, dad or brother, they screamed their heads off til I came and picked it up. [​IMG]

5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    well, you will atleast hear them when you cut out the lights......[​IMG]

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Wow it never occured to me that you could paint a hermit crab shell! Can you paint a turtle shell? What else don't I know?

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:No you shouldnt paint a turtle shell as it is attached and part of the turtle and grows with it. A hermit crab uses the shell to live in. They change shells as they grow bigger, the shell doesnt grow with them. When you have them , you can put different shells in with them and they can move to different shells. I'm sure there's
    more scientific terms for all of this but that's basically it. [​IMG]

Too funny bout the crickets!

Nancy

8. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i felt the same way about my chicks i bought last spring and when i go ton here thats when i found out i did EVERYTHING wrong with my chicks so yes super chickens are def what i have lol theyll make it just fine i bet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by