UV light for indoor ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Diamond88, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    My vet told me a while ago that I need to have a UV light for my indoor call duck for vitamin D and hormone regulation. I bought a bulb from the reptile section of the pet store and hooked it up to an 8-hour timer, and I just left it at that. But, today I read that too much exposure to UV rays can cause cancer, which I suppose does make sense. Now I'm very concerned. Does anyone have information on the right amount of UV exposure for an indoor duck, and a female call duck in particular? I know she needs the simulated sun, but I'm so worried!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mercy, this is a sticky one.

I just don't know, but wanted to let you know I am thinking about it. A number of the people I am aware of with indoor ducks take them for walks. In the winter, I supplement our food with some dry cat kibble that has added Vitamin D in it.

Would one of those full spectrum grow lights be good?

3. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Hmm, a grow light is an idea. This might be something I'll have to take up with a vet. But since she's not sick and hopefully won't need to go to the vet anytime soon, I don't really know if/when I'll have a chance. Thanks for weighing in, though, Amiga!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you connected with other indoor duck people? Maybe they can give you the scoop. Nettie's had indoors for years.

5. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    I wrote to Dr. Greg Burkett in North Carolina, because he was the one who told me about the UV light in the first place. (My well-traveled duck was hatched in Raleigh.) He said the light should be 18-24 inches away from the cage and that I should have it on for two or three hours in the morning and two or three hours in the afternoon. That's for a female call duck, specifically, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too much different for bigger ducks. So, now we know!

1 person likes this.
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Bravo! Good information, thanks very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by